Defraggler v1.08.132

Kyle

Hey everyone. This is my first post. I have a few concerns about the newest version (v1.08.132) of defraggler.

I have always been a PRO Defraggler user. I love the program!

However,

This new version worries me. About every 2nd or 3rd time I use it, the program freezes either after Analysis or after Defragmentation. I get the annoying 'Program Not Responding'. Anyone have this same issue? I finally uninstalled defraggler because I dont want to risk corrupting my data when it freezes. I hope I am not the only one having these difficulties!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone. This is my first post. I have a few concerns about the newest version (v1.08.132) of defraggler.

I have always been a PRO Defraggler user. I love the program!

However,

This new version worries me. About every 2nd or 3rd time I use it, the program freezes either after Analysis or after Defragmentation. I get the annoying 'Program Not Responding'. Anyone have this same issue? I finally uninstalled defraggler because I dont want to risk corrupting my data when it freezes. I hope I am not the only one having these difficulties!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[/quote

I've had the 'Program Not Responding' pop up loads of times for Defraggler. More so in previous versions. It is not uncommon for programs to stop responding, and it may not even be a Defraggler's program bug! Sometimes computers just stop responding, be it for many reasons. But I've had a major issue with the new Defraggler tool that seems to have reframented my hard drive! But the 'Program Not Responding' Pop Up is usually nothing to worry about and many times it fixes itself quickly.

I'm having the same problem with version 1.08.132. I haven't had this (a lot) before, but now I'm having it once about every 2 or 3 times as well. It doesn't completely freeze up or hang for me, though. It hangs for like 5 or maybe 10 seconds, but then it crashes and I get the Microsoft "report error" dialog. I'm running it now with the "/debug" param, in the hopes of catching it this way. Out of principle, it does disturb me that the file which debug-mode generates contains names of files on my disk, but maybe I'll just have to remove those and then submit the debug log (supposing the bug still appears in debug mode).

Kyle, maybe you could also try with the /debug param (e.g. typing "c:\program files\defraggler\defraggler.exe /debug" in a cmd.exe window) and see if you can get a debug log of the crash happening?

Hi,

It crashed when I was using it with the /debug param. I think the steps I did were an analyze, then I selected all files +/- below 60 MB and defragmented those. This worked. Then I did an analyze again I think and it crashed.

Not 100% sure of the steps I executed, however.

Attached is the end of my debug file, let me know if you need more. Also, if there are debug symbols you want me to download somewhere, or if you want me to run windbg on it, let me know.

defraggler_crash.txt

defraggler_crash.txt

I too have had issues trying to run Defraggler.

I am able to install, but it will not run. Pops up briefly, only to close down immediately.

The windows event viewer shows the following message...

Faulting application Defraggler.exe, version 1.8.0.132, faulting module Defraggler.exe, version 1.8.0.132, fault address 0x000a0b31.

The common about all the machines I have tried this on, all are running McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.

- Mark

Thanks, we will look into this.

:)

MrRon

I have placed a message somewhere on this website about probably the same problem - cannot find it.

The arrow symbol keeps on circulating whilst the squares stop changing colours, at either about 22%/24% or 74%/75%.

Since, the entire screen doesn't actually freeze it is probably 99% a Defraggler's problem in my opinion:

1) I thought that I had solved the problem by uninstalling Defraggler 1.08.138 and reinstalling it, but after probably about 2 or 3 defragmentations the problem continued.

2) I think (and hope) that version 1.09.138 has now actually solved the problem:

A: Uninstall Defraggler using 'Control Panel\Add or Remove' in Windows and then

B: Install Defraggler 1.09.138 or, whichever is the latetest Defraggler's Upgrade.

C: Only use the latest update for programs - Solve any bugs (faults).

Thanks to Pirirform for solving the problem quickly - If it is now solved of course.

I've been having a simliar problem, I run Defraggler and around about 92-94% the system just totally hangs on me, the mouse cursor doesn't even move, I've used Defraggler on XP SP3 for ages and it's done a awesome job, doesn't seem to like Vista though, done a memory diagnostic check as my system is overclocked slightly but everything checks out fine, nothing else ever hangs or crashes in Vista, so I assume Defraggler is the culprit.

I've had to resort to the normal Disk Defragmenter for now, shame. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.09.132 seems to have resolved the problem I reported here. However, doing a "defrag freespace" after a normal defrag often seems to trigger a crash. Don't have more specifics now, have no time for it, but will try to generate a debug log again.

I don't remember having many (any?) crashes before 1.08.132, though, should this help in finding the bug.