can't connect using ethernet cable

beatlebryce

I used to use a wireless network adapter, but I bought an ethernet cable. I attached it to the router, and plugged the other end into my pc, but nothing happens. I looked and my motherboard info says "Modem/LAN: No/Yes", so I went on my mobo disk to the LAN folder, and installed the driver. I don't see the driver in Device Manager, so I don't know if it installed or it doesn't show, but again, no wired connection. How do I set up the connection?

I used to use a wireless network adapter, but I bought an ethernet cable. I attached it to the router, and plugged the other end into my pc, but nothing happens. I looked and my motherboard info says "Modem/LAN: No/Yes", so I went on my mobo disk to the LAN folder, and installed the driver. I don't see the driver in Device Manager, so I don't know if it installed or it doesn't show, but again, no wired connection. How do I set up the connection?

Since its not showing at all in device manager it may be disabled:

Check your manual for setting the BIOS to enable on board LAN.

fireryone

You could also try right clicking on "Network Connections" on the desktop and selecting properties. Your LAN adapter should show up there if the drivers are installed for it. If you are logged in under an administrative account, you can right click the LAN adapter and select enable.

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

No problem, glad you got it fixed!

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif