Problem with destination path

Jo Zelf

Hi All,

I'm a new user of Recuva, which I want to use to recover the data from a C: drive, which was apparently erased by a virus attack.

I have performed a deep scan, and after a couple of hours Recuva displays a list of deleted files (app. 200000), some of them in excellent condition, some with partly or fully clusters.

After that I select the files by checking the 'select all' check-box, and the boxes for all files are checked.

Then I click the [recover] button, and a window for selecting the destination of the recovered files pops up.

This window, however, only contains the three buttons [Create new dir], [ok] and [cancel]

I see no way to actually enter the destination path. (which would be D:)

Clicking the [create new dir] has no effect, clicking [ok] or [cancel] both just close the window.

No files are recovered.

I also did this with scanning the d: drive, select a single file, click [recover], same empty window.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you already for any answer.

Regards, Jo

• Moderators

I would create a new folder using Explorer, and then when you click on Recover Checked and the destination box pops up open up my Documents (or wherever the new folder is) until you get to the new folder, and then press OK.

It is better, and in your case with a large number of files to be recovered, to make your destination folder on another device or partition. If you recover to the same partition the files you are recovering will be merrily overwriting files still to be recovered.

200,000 files is a huge number though. Make sure you have enough space to hold the new files, and prepare to wait for some time.

Thanks Augeas for your reply.

The problem is however, if I right-click a deleted file after a deep scan, and I select 'recover checked'

The 'Browse for folder'window pops up, with the three buttons at the bottom, but the rest of that window is empty.

I have no possibility to select the other partition, where I have by far enough space to place all recovered files.

(Long time for recovery is no problem, I just want to rescue as many deleted files as possible, before I

install windows again on that machine)

So I get a window for selecting the desination of the recovered files, but I cannot select any drive or directory in this window.

• Moderators

That's strange. You don't even have My Computer? I don't have an answer to this. Are you running the portable or installed version of CC? You could try a reinstall, or download and run the portable version (from other builds) on a flash drive, but I'm just groping here.

Thanks Augeas for your reply.

The problem is however, if I right-click a deleted file after a deep scan, and I select 'recover checked'

The 'Browse for folder'window pops up, with the three buttons at the bottom, but the rest of that window is empty.

I have no possibility to select the other partition, where I have by far enough space to place all recovered files.

(Long time for recovery is no problem, I just want to rescue as many deleted files as possible, before I

install windows again on that machine)

So I get a window for selecting the desination of the recovered files, but I cannot select any drive or directory in this window.

without a screenshot i can only imagine that the window may need resizing...

so pick a corner to get the double sided arrows and try dragging it arround,

If not uninstall and try the portable version (no install)

http://www.recuva.com/download/builds

fireryone