Connect two routers?

Capman

In work we have six network cables coming out of the wall by the router, five of these are for network points around the offices, the other one is for the CCTV cameras.

The router has the standard four network ports, three of which are used for three of the network points and the forth is used for the cameras.

Somehow I would like to get the other two network points up and running.

We have another router (generously supplied by our ISP, but we don't know why), can I connect the second router to the first somehow to enable me to achieve what I am trying to achieve?

I could google, I know google is my friend, but I am trying hard to clean an infected computer at the moment and it was just another thread on here that spurred me on to ask the question.

• Moderators

I think you can connect two routers together to gain more ethernet ports by setting one of them as an access point instead of a router. I know linksys has a drop down box for this. I've never tried it, just seen it in mine and other routers config screens.

I think you can connect two routers together to gain more ethernet ports by setting one of them as an access point instead of a router. I know linksys has a drop down box for this. I've never tried it, just seen it in mine and other routers config screens.

I'll look into that, thanks.

cannot you just buy a switch which then adds the extra slots?

I was just trying to use what was available at the moment, it seems silly having a router sitting on the shelf gathering dust if it could be put to good use.