What I would love to see in CCleaner

mr don

There are 4 small utilities I have to use, such as Bart Dart Context Menu editor, + Nirsoft Startup Run etc, because of CCleaner not having these features in it yet. If I were giving suggestions, these are the top 4 I really want in CCleaner:

1 - Browser Helper Object (Show BHO on your system, with options to Delete or Disable... could be added right with startup items)

2 - Context Menu (Disable or delete old entries from context menus)

3 - Prefetch (Disable prefetch entirely, & flush it clean)

4 - System Restore (Control how often restore points are made + delete old entries... sometimes this can free several gigs)

If I remember correctly, all BHO are stored in a single place in the registry, & BHO do as much damage as other malware. Saw an article a while back detailing reg keys to stop it from making restore points, & also to change when it took snapshots to say once every 24 hours, or 48, etc.

I would really really love to be able to stop using startup run one day. It would be so coolness to be able to do all this with one program...

Yes, I do believe in magic, you guys are coding gods... haha!

I don't kno a whole lot about the 1st, so i'll say 2,3,4. CCleaner is to clean gunk in your system, not to deal with registry tweaking. 3, disabling prefetch slows down your system. 4, system restor is stored in an area where you DO NOT want to mess with permissions

The computer is mightier than the sword

link1.gif link1.gif

Click here for cool stuff

I don't kno a whole lot about the 1st, so i'll say 2,3,4. CCleaner is to clean gunk in your system, not to deal with registry tweaking. 3, disabling prefetch slows down your system. 4, system restor is stored in an area where you DO NOT want to mess with permissions

1) BHO are only stored in 1 place in the registry. There is nothing to clean but that one folder, ever, no matter how many BHO are installed, it is always in this 1 place. BHO are just as dangerous as startup entries, & are just as easy to disable.

2) BHO ARE junk to be cleaned, & so far as registry tweaking, if I remember right, startup entries are ALSO stored in the registry. Since you can disable startup entries that may be spread out over multiple locations (IE, all users, run once, etc etc, why would it be too hard to disable BHO that are always & forever only in a single reg location?)

3) Disabling prefetch may slow the system as you say, but on my system, it is barely noticeable, & then there are times if you install/test/use certain apps that bundle malware with their product, it happens that they may insert malware to "prefetch" as well as other files. On removing that malware, it may still leave a reference to that in the prefetch folder for a little while.

Why, I think that would be a good thing, to be able to entirely disable prefetch since malware can slow down the system making a call to a program that no longer exists, etc etc.

4) System Restore... Have seen it described as to how you can easily mod an entry for sys restore to change how oft it makes restore points, or disable it altogether. I mentioned sys restore, because on some systems where malware is removed, if the restore points are not also disabled, many people have no qualms restoring BACK to a malware infested date....

In addition, some people NEVER clear sys restore points, & I have seen those take up 3, 4, or even more than that GIGABYTES!

That is huge, huge, huge, so eliminating all those restore points (isn't there a simple MS command that can disable or reenable it? I believe there is!) will result in a big size reduction, speed increase, & cause AV scanners to get through in less time. In addition, defrag util will finish faster.

Disabling prefetch is like taking a step back to windows 98. And bhos are not necessarily junk i.e. norton 360 phishing filter

Not on my system.

Disabling prefetch, I can barely tell any diff in performance gains with it enabled. Of course, I do have a fast pc.

You are right, not all BHO are junk, which is why there should be an option for each BHO to enable or disable it.

But, remember, not all startup entries are junk either, like AVG Antivirus, or Norton, etc etc.

Saying this is a reason NOT to use a BHO disabler, is about like saying the same argument applies to other items such as startup as well.

Why have a startup disabler? Ya know, once it loads a kadjillion entries, that startup delay program might help your pc feel faster, or that process tamer, etc.

Why not load up a kabillion startup items, since they could all be useful, hey?