PrevX Home

Mike Rochip

Never heard of it until now. There's a review about it on about.com.

Thanks Andavari as usual you been a great help. I searched "prevx" on the forums here and found rridgely asked the same question as me. rridgely's post

He read reviews on download.com but said "most of them sounded kind of dumb." Talk about an understatement!

Pros: Does a 'GOOD' job...maybe 'TOO' good. It can be 'VERY' annoying. Too 'MANY' pop up windows displaying 'ACCEPT' or 'NOT'. Thanks but 'NO THANKS'...

Cons: Too 'MANY' to 'MENTION'...

?and I ?thought? I (used) ?too? [much] punctuation ?in? my <posts>. I hope they fix that doing ?TOO? good a job bug in the next release.

Pros: Just looks fine...

Cons: God! Who created that G.U.I. ? Doen't make any sences for me... I got confuse the first time. And lost the second time.

Is just to PREVent... doesn't cure/heal or remove anything.

OK I?m no computer genius but doesn?t GUI mean ?graphical user interface? ie: the way the program looks? This makes no sences to me. The third time I got unconscious.

Pros: there are no pros

Cons: don't use this!!! it will *****-up your system.

I really don't understand why you can download this here real crapware!!!

WTH swear word has five letters? I?ve used every four letter word I can imagine on my computer and if there?s a five letter word I need to add it to the arsenal.

Pros: ermmm ...if ya ask me just the skin & Fastness of the product

Cons: I agree with a good majority of other people who have downloaded Prevx Home ..I was so confused..I am a blonde so I thought it was just me...but I played a game with the new product I had downloaded . Sure enuf it was to good to be true . Once again I found this product to be False . It doesnt do a ***** thing to block a ***** thing . Whew Another Blonde Saved . :-)

This just defies explanation. This one posting has set anti-blonde-joke-activists back about a thousand years. ermmm, there?s that 5 letter swear word again.

Pros: It's Free? It has an Un-installation routine.

Cons: Un-installation routine crashes.

No comment?

Pros: i think this software may be not very famous that why can really protect my pc from getting virus attact. Unlike those very famous anti-virus which very costly but can say useless when the machine is really infected by viruses.

I also hate those snooty famous software programs, they just sit around all day doing nothing while all the other programs work their ***** off hoping for their big break.

Pros: A decent program that can block

Cons: Didnt block everything

Maybe it?s only sort-of famous.

I think this may be a good program. To be fair, it takes some getting used to. During installation all the other antispy programs have to be turned off. Uninstalling seems very frustrating to people but they don't realise you have to stop the services it uses before it will uninstall.

• Moderators

I need to know what that 5 letter word is too! :D

I forgot all about that post, and I didnt even try that program. I mainly wanted to know if anyone else used it. To me it was the same thing as win patrol (a program I hate).

I need to know what that 5 letter word is too! :D

I forgot all about that post, and I didnt even try that program. I mainly wanted to know if anyone else used it. To me it was the same thing as win patrol (a program I hate).

There's a pretty in-depth forum here with comparisons to WinPatrol. PrevX is upposed to be more advanced. One thing I noticed is the PrevX people respond to all the complaints and seem to really care about what people think. I'm so paranoid about viruses now after dealing with all the evil Coolwwwsearch variants I'm trying everything I can find. I don't surf anymore, I just run virus scans for hours on end.

I've never seen a program like this but I'll let you know what I think after I try it for awhile.

• Moderators

From the about.com review it says it monitors the registry. I've previously used security programs that monitored the registry and they would always bite me on the bullocks by completely annoying me whenever I'd try to edit something in the registry, add a blocked site into the HOSTS file, etc., therefore I don't think I'd like Prevx Home.

These type of security programs would be great if they'd be smart enough to know the actual PC user is the one making the system changes, not some malware.

From the about.com review it says it monitors the registry. I've previously used security programs that monitored the registry and they would always bite me on the bullocks by completely annoying me whenever I'd try to edit something in the registry, add a blocked site into the HOSTS file, etc., therefore I don't think I'd like Prevx Home.

These type of security programs would be great if they'd be smart enough to know the actual PC user is the one making the system changes, not some malware.

I had Prevx Pro but now I'm having the latest Prevx1.

The HOME and PRO are for advanced users and these type of programs will only be as effective as the knowledge of the user about his computer. This is required. A lot of people who had downloaded the Home and Pro especially got irritated by the constant bombardment of pop-ups asking for permission even when doing simple things like installing a program, for instance.

They also get annoyed with it constantly phoning home. You can block it with the PRO though. HOME, you cannot.

Personally I like to know what's working behind the scene at every moment. I find the program very useful. This app will keep you in the driving seat, so to speak.

In short, I wouldn't recommend this app for a beginner.

For beginners I think Prevx1 is far more suitable. This is a new app in BETA stage and is simpler to use. Oh yes, the pop ups are still there but less intruding. But it is still in its infancy. A lot of things need to be added and improved upon.

Then again if you want to look into these kind of products, try Online Armor, ProcessGuard, StarForce Safe'n'Sec.

Hello all-

Thanks for your input everyone!

I've been running PrevX for a few days now and this is my (humble) opinion:

It seems like it would be good to have in that it will catch anything trying to install without your knowledge. It's best to suspend it when doing a legitimate install or the popups will drive you crazy.

The combination I've found that I seem to like is SpywareBlaster, MS Antispy, and ZoneAlarm Free, along with occasional scans with AdAware, SpyBot, etc. and an online scan once in a while. I haven't had any spyware issues using this combination.

Since PrevX doesn't seem to use a lot of resources I guess I'll keep it just in case something manages to get by all the other stuff. Will probably give Prevx1 a try after a while.

Never did find the five letter swear word, though.

Glad you like it, Mike.

The PRO version will enable you to create and edit rules. Besides that it can also let you disable PAWS. A lot of people are not comfortable with the phone home issue.

Anyway that didn't bug me.

Prevx1 is a lot lighter on resources and I'm beginning to like it. The only think is that when do install or Windows Update, the pop ups not only require you to allow or block the process, you'll have to include some other details like what you are doing. At times especially Windows Updates, it can be quite irritating.

In other words, you have to write something so that they can be sent back for analysis or something.