Spyware Apps

greyowl2

A-squard = false positive crazy, I would stay away.

I gave up on adaware years ago. You would probably get better real time protection from window defender.

I agree.

I use MBAM and Windows Defender updated daily from its portal.

Close Windows Defender then go to its portal then select 32 bit and Run it then restart its display interface so that you see the wall with the green check mark on it in the Taskbar:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal <== current level v1.55.293.0

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I agree. MBAM, superantispyware and windows defender are all good apps. I wouldn't go crazy, run one real time antispyware and keep a couple and scan now and then to make sure things are clean. Too much stuff just bogs you down and you spend all your time updating things and not having fun. :)

I tried A-Squared for about 2 days and just did not like it. It is very intrusive and has a lot of false positives. Ad-Aware has become too bloated for me and they do not update very often.

SuperAntiSpyare and MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware are my go-to programs with help from WinPatrol 2009. Windows Defender runs on my work computer and doesn't seem to do that bad of a job.

swagger

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

I just bought The Shield Deluxe 2009 for both my computers, laptop and desktop, it is suppose to have malware, spyware and antivirus, the whole shebang, It was rated #1 by Hippo, and a few others gave it a high rating, has anyone any comments on it?

It found a virus on my desktop, (not using) called Fee92e.msi=]embedded exe but says it cannot remove it! I thought that was one of things these programs were suppose to do! So I am hoping I can get some help ridding my computer of that. I did write to them last night but so far no one has answered.

Now if that isn't bad enough, after I installed The Shield Deluxe on both computers, I did a full scan, after reboot the desktop came up with a sign in to get into my computer of which I have never had a password on my computers, it is not necessary for me to have one. So in desperation I put a password in and a user name and it let me in, now of course that is the only way I can get into the desktop!

So I am learning to live with that, The shield did another scan, I had it set up for one every day, but just a quick one and weekly deep scan, after it rebooted I went to check my email and OH NO, my Windows mail asked me for a PASSWORD, never, never, never have I put a pass word on it, I tried the same thing with it that I did with the computer sign in, but unfortunately it did not work.

I have not gone on the desk top today, I am afraid of whats next. I know there are a lot of good computer minds in this forum so any help or suggestions or even comments will be fully appreciated!!! Thank you one & all

As I said before, never trust any anti-malware app with a year in its' title. Those who do are either from the XingXang prefecture or worse. Thus, you have no option. You'll never know.

"Just sit back, relax, and enjoy it." - Tex Antoine, N.Y.C. ABC Eyewitness News, 1970s

right on rridgely! SUPERAnti-Spyware and Malwarebytes' :)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

A-squard = false positive crazy, I would stay away.

I gave up on adaware years ago. You would probably get better real time protection from window defender.

I've been thinking to switch A-Squared with SAS (with real time prot) and stay with Ad-Aware ;)

Joanie when you did your original scan with The Shield, did it detect anything or did you fix anything with it ?

Hi

Yes, I did not write it down but it was a ad ware thing and when I sent it to Shield they said to run malwarebytes which i did and MWB got it. but all this pass word crap is terrible, I can't get into any of my business mail and I kept all my contacts in there, now the laptop is the same. I can get my new mail of course, through a different server like google or Comcast, but a lot of stuff is locked up in windows mail.

does anyone know how to go in and take pass words out?

I see red every time I think about why people do such things, have they no life? Dang it!!! I would have kept up better on this but I had my grandson for the first time in a long time and I just wanted to have fun with him and forget the whole thing for a couple days. Now I am back in the real world and any comments or directs is soooooo appreciated

it sounds like rogue antimalware to me...

I am going to try running malwarebytes --deepscan and see what it comes up with, but again how can I cancel out this password thing what a bugger!

give this a shot

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start Recovery Console. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter".

When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r) The disk check operation will start.

This will be a very thorough check of the hard drive and the file system...be patient and let it complete. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this check...it may take longer in some cases.

Once the check completes and you are back at the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Let your computer boot normally to Windows.

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

~Scratch~

The Shield Deluxe 2009 Cnet user reviews ain't too flash.

WOW! I cannot believe it, when I read up on it , it was as rated as a #1 anti-virus program---I just went to your link, if I had seen that i would not have bought this---I can't believe tucows didn't show this on the page I was at. I finally got things going OK as far as my password problem, I wrote to them about not helping me out with the virus the program found and have yet to hear back from them, that was 3 days ago. You can bet I will not renew this, I did notice a rather prissy attitude when i called them about a pricing mistake they made. I am going to stick to freebies, I hope they clean up their act!

I've been using Avira's Antivir Premium for awhile now and I'm beginning to think that other than a softwall firewall and router, Avira Premium is all that's needed. I'm not sure what I'm going to do once I can't find any more free 6 month offers for it, though. :(

I may have to make either a purchasing decision or choose between Avira 9 free (once they iron out the engine problems) or Avast Home, with Dr. Web's Cureit Live CD as a free on demand backup.

I still have the free on-demand versions of Super Anti-Spyware, Malwarebytes, and A-squared installed, as well as Spybot S&D and an old version of Ad-Aware. I rarely check them against Avira Premium.

Along with Web of Trust for Firefox and Adblock filters, the only other security feature I use is a HOSTS file from MVPS.org along with disabling the DNS service. I'm not even sure that the HOSTS file is even necessary. I also run Hijackthis every month or so and compare the log file to an older one to see if there are any differences, and if so, are they recognizable?

• 2 weeks later...