How to uninstall ie8 and put ie7 back on

• Moderators

I use WinXP and removed it without a single issue, don't know if your Vista is the same though.

1. Open the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs.

2. Scroll down to Windows Internet Explorer 8, and uninstall it.

3. Restart Windows after the uninstall and you'll have IE7 back.

Optional: If you had a System Restore point or ERUNT backup made just before the installation of IE8 using either of them is recommended.

Note:

The IE8 uninstall does leave some junk files behind that even System Restore won't remove, however they are minimal. I found all the left overs in my User Profile folder.

Interesting that my XP system and your Vista system were both slowed to a crawl with IE8. I hope they release an IE8 Install Blocker script soon because I'll never install it again.

yeah i dunno, totally slowed up vista so i just got rid of it....followed a link on a site i found (had to type something in the search bar....etc.....doesnt show up under programs and features (equiv. to add/remove programs)....but its gone now!

Does anyone know how to do this? IE does not show up under programs and features in vista.....and ie8 is slowing my system to a crawl.

Looking at Andavaris post has answered my question, and I too will be uninstalling IE8 as it has slowed my laptop down too!

• Moderators
It probably relies heavily on Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

If you don't have that it prolly won't work correctly.

I think these need to be installed first...

th_IE8needs.jpg

I don't know if it needs .NET Framework or not, and I do have all versions of that installed because I'm always using or finding software that requires it.

Microsoft did release a blocker toolkit to stop the IE8 install from Automatic Updates, etc., which I posted about here.

I don't know if it needs .NET Framework or not, and I do have all versions of that installed because I'm always using or finding software that requires it.

Microsoft did release a blocker toolkit to stop the IE8 install from Automatic Updates, etc., which I posted about here.

Did your great grandparents run in the streets waving a red flag in front of the then newfangled thing called an automobile?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
Did your great grandparents run in the streets waving a red flag in front of the then newfangled thing called an automobile?

Kenny that was a totally unnecessary post bordering on being an insult.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I would think that the uninstall of Windows Internet Explorer works on the same principle as Andavari has stated. Add/Remove, remove IE8 and if you had IE7 installed before you will see a note to reinstall a previous version or do a repair on the existing version. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

have installed IE8 on xp sp3 & have no problems, had the betas & rc1 on too & they presented no problems either - I do have .NET 3.5 sp1 & the others with a red mark in that installed btw

made the error of not uninstalling the beta before adding the rc - fortunately no problems

the handy tuneup registry cleaner might have helped me avoid slow downs?