AntiVir 9 slowing down PC

TeeJay3800

Ever since I upgraded from AntiVir 8 to version 9, my laptop has been EXTREMELY slow. It's a XP Home machine, A64 X2, 1 GB RAM, etc. Everything from booting, to opening of programs is dramatically slower. It literally takes a full minute to open Firefox or Opera (used to take a second or two). I usually like to run the latest version of all software, but in this case I'm actually considering downgrading because my computer is virtually unusable now. No other changes were made to the PC...it's definitely because of AntiVir 9. Has anyone else experienced this with version 9 running?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Sounds like it could either be AntiVir 9 or IE8. As mentioned here, IE8 was slowing down 1984's machine. I installed both AntiVir 9 and IE8 at the same time, so I'm not sure which is slowing the computer down. Whatever it is, I need to nail it down because now Firefox is taking a full 3 minutes to open!

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

I'm using AntiVir 9 Premium with no effect on speed -- but I'm not using IE8. If you're also using FF3, that could be part of your problem -- at least it was for me. It was definitely a slow loader -- not 3 minutes -- but slow enough to cause me to go back to FF2. And now, I'm a happy camper once again :D.

Sounds like it could either be AntiVir 9 or IE8. As mentioned here, IE8 was slowing down 1984's machine. I installed both AntiVir 9 and IE8 at the same time, so I'm not sure which is slowing the computer down. Whatever it is, I need to nail it down because now Firefox is taking a full 3 minutes to open!

I think it may be IE8 that is slowing things up. I upgraded to AntiVir 9 around a week ago and noticed no difference at all, however I upgraded to IE8 a couple of days ago - just out of interest as I use FF3 - and my system has slowed down since then.

I'm using AntiVir 9 Premium with no effect on speed -- but I'm not using IE8. If you're also using FF3, that could be part of your problem -- at least it was for me. It was definitely a slow loader -- not 3 minutes -- but slow enough to cause me to go back to FF2. And now, I'm a happy camper once again :D.

I'm using AntiVir 9 Premium on my XP Pro 2.8GHZ P4 system with IE8 and its just as snappy as ever.

What other applications are the whiners running that they don't complain about?

The XP Pro system with 768MB RAM runs WinPatrol and Windows Defender resident and Malwarebytes MBAM on demand plus I do not use a software firewall as I use Windows firewall behind a hardware firewall.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

What other applications are the whiners running that they don't complain about?

Whiners? Easy there.

The only other apps that are running other than AntiVir are Sunbelt Firewall and SpeedFan. What happened was I installed AntiVir, rebooted, installed IE8 (which did its double reboot thing), and it was then that the slow down occurred. Pretty much all apps take a LONG time to start now...sometimes as much as several minutes. This started as soon as AntiVir was upgraded to version 9 and IE8 was installed...everything was just fine prior to those updates.

UPDATE: I downgraded from IE8 to IE7 and all is now good! I am at a total loss as to why IE8 would slow down the PC so significantly. Especially when it wasn't even running...

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

I tried AntiVir 9 and didn't notice any slowing of my system, it scanned my whole system in 20 minutes which is stupid fast.

I only got rid of it and returned to Avast because it was giving multiple false positives against some Winzip Self Extracting zip archives that I myself made and know are 100% clean.

My bets are on Sunbelt Firewall.

How are you connected to the Internet and what is the modem make and model?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

It was totally IE8 on my system. I only run NOd32 in real time and never have a problem with speed. As soon as I put IE8 on everything slowed to a crawl (web pages loading, applications starting, etc). Once I went back to IE7 everything was fine again.

I actually like IE7 (have it set up for the kids with their favorites, etc.) with the pro add on, its just that I like firefox better (due to a few specific addons like webmail notifier. I like opera too (its the snappiest on my machine for sure), but since it doesnt have a few features that I like in firefox i don't use it much.

There is definately some sort of snag in IE8 that affects some of our PC's. Just like all other software out there, it just doesn't seem to affect everyone's the same.

It was totally IE8 on my system. I only run NOd32 in real time and never have a problem with speed. As soon as I put IE8 on everything slowed to a crawl (web pages loading, applications starting, etc). Once I went back to IE7 everything was fine again.

Same here, exactly. As soon as I downgraded to version 7, all was good. I think YoKenny is a bit too much in love with IE to admit it could possibly be the problem. ;) j/k Kenny

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

I actually like IE7 (have it set up for the kids with their favorites, etc.) with the pro add on, its just that I like firefox better (due to a few specific addons like webmail notifier. I like opera too (its the snappiest on my machine for sure), but since it doesnt have a few features that I like in firefox i don't use it much.

There is definately some sort of snag in IE8 that affects some of our PC's. Just like all other software out there, it just doesn't seem to affect everyone's the same.

I had the same exact problem as you. And I'm using NOD32 too! Coincidence?

Think you should change the antivirus. I did test a lot of choices and can tell u if u need a light AV is no better solution than NOD32. Not saying is best enough. Kaspersky or recently Norton are far better. For offline clean u can use DR WEB. Or have a look at www.softputeria.com

They do recommend clean good software. And easy to read also. CCleaner I found it also there. Impressive solution, thank you Piriform. Mostly is incredible this is a free software.

YO!

I wouldn't touch Norton with a ten foot pole. Kaspersky i would go with. But I've been very happy with NOD32 and it doesn't conflict with anything else (if it in fact is conflicting with IE8....). Works great with opera, ie7, and firefox so im thinking the issue must be ie8 not nod32...

Works great with opera, ie7, and firefox so im thinking the issue must be ie8 not nod32...

I'm using AntiVir 9 and I had the same symptoms as you, so I would agree that the root of the problem is IE8. The weird thing is, IE wasn't even running. Apparently, just being installed is enough to slow some people's computers down to a crawl.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

Same here, exactly. As soon as I downgraded to version 7, all was good. I think YoKenny is a bit too much in love with IE to admit it could possibly be the problem. ;) j/k Kenny

There's an old baseball saying I heard once that stuck with me I calls it how I sees it!

So if you see it different then use what you sees.

IE7Pro user

I wouldn't touch Norton with a ten foot pole. Kaspersky i would go with. But I've been very happy with NOD32 and it doesn't conflict with anything else (if it in fact is conflicting with IE8....). Works great with opera, ie7, and firefox so im thinking the issue must be ie8 not nod32...

Never been near Norton, not planning to go near Norton either. NOD32 has always worked for me, and everything got messed up when I installed IE8, so thats the problem.

• Moderators
The weird thing is, IE wasn't even running. Apparently, just being installed is enough to slow some people's computers down to a crawl.

It's part of the OS once installed, and is more of a system update than a "software update." I was having nothing but issues immediately after restarting my system and I hadn't yet even opened IE8.

Jesus what is with you guys and having issues after installing a new version of great software? you peeps need to stop using those modified Docking Apps and such :P

me and rridgely never seem to have the same problems. we always seem to have the same results :)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators
Jesus what is with you guys and having issues after installing a new version of great software? you peeps need to stop using those modified Docking Apps and such :P

me and rridgely never seem to have the same problems. we always seem to have the same results :)

It can be many factors such as hardware causing issues with software. Such as the old Netscape Suite browser issues with ATI display/graphic cards that seemingly was never fixed.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved? I keep getting automatic update notifications for IE8, but haven't installed it yet because of how much is slowed my PC down last time. Any ideas?

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png