Adding RAM to the existing dual channel kit.

Eli

Hi

I have a 2X512 DDR2 CL4 kit that works in dual channel, what will happen if I add one additional stick,will this void the existing dual channel function ?

If I add to the same above mentioned kit, a second kit in the two remaining slots, other than being the same speed and timing, do these have to be from the same brand or will I have to make some BIOS changes if these are not of the same?(I have been told by some local store vendor ,that the sticks have to be from the same brand,to me it sounds incorrect ,what difference does it make what brand is it if you follow the same properties?)

Thanks

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

If I understand you correctly, then you have 4 slots with 2 of them filled with 512 MB modules. If you add only one stick, then yes, you will void the dual channel function (funny story about that later though.)

With them having to be the same kits, I think that would be done more for convenience then anything else. However, you should be fine with a solid kit of DDR2. If you want to be really safe, you could remove your kit, and get a 2x2 GB kit for 4 GBs and then you could remove your other set. Windows 32 bit O/S's won't display all of it, but it is there.

AJ

If I understand you correctly, then you have 4 slots with 2 of them filled with 512 MB modules. If you add only one stick, then yes, you will void the dual channel function (funny story about that later though.)

With them having to be the same kits, I think that would be done more for convenience then anything else. However, you should be fine with a solid kit of DDR2. If you want to be really safe, you could remove your kit, and get a 2x2 GB kit for 4 GBs and then you could remove your other set. Windows 32 bit O/S's won't display all of it, but it is there.

AJ

Thanks 'CTskifreak'

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed RAM many times since back in the PC beginning. If this article is for the novice then here is what they need to know about seating RAM. Do not touch the part of the chip that goes into the motherboard, for that is where the circuitry is located on the chip. Speaking of circuitry, make sure to carefully slowly place each corner inserted into the slot, and make sure your tabs on each side are out. I tilt it a little to see that I'm lined up EXACTLY on each side with the motherboard RAM slot, and then straighten it out as I place the chip into the slot. Once each side is lined up, then press firmly down slowly on each side of the chip at the same time. DO NOT force it in the slot or you will destroy the circuittry on the chip, or motherboard RAM slot, or both. On ALL motherboards the RAM will only line on in ONE direction, so PAY ATTENTION to where the slots are on the