Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool

mfenech

When doing Windows Update, I get prompted to install the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130). After triggering the install, it does its normal thing for 15 seconds or so, and then tells me that the install was unsuccessful. No reason is given, and when I look at my update history, no "failed install" is logged. I have Win 2000. I tried shutting down my anti-virus and firewall programs. Any help is appreciated.

When doing Windows Update, I get prompted to install the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130).  After triggering the install, it does its normal thing for 15 seconds or so, and then tells me that the install was unsuccessful.  No reason is given, and when I look at my update history, no "failed install" is logged.  I have Win 2000.  I tried shutting down my anti-virus and firewall programs.  Any help is appreciated.

Check to see if that the right version comes up as the number you have given is for windows xp.

sigforforums.jpg

Signature made with paintnet

Try Dial-a-fix.

Failing that, check the permissions of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. If you need a walkthrough on how to check that, let us know. If there are no users listed on HKCR, then that is the issue.

thedon57: What the hell are you talking about?

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

don - The number I posted is the same number on the failure message.

dj - Assuming I didn't need to reboot after runing dial-a-fix, then there was no change. Yes, I'll need a walk-thru on the permissions.

try http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/ instead - it installs a brand new ActiveX control which has helped me several times in the past.

Registry thing:

Start, Run... regedit

Right-click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, click Permissions, and make sure there are users listed in the 'Group or user names:' box. (names such as CREATOR OWNER, SYSTEM, Users, Power Users, Administrators, etc).

If there is nothing there (then that's the reason it's broken), you need to click 'Add' and add all of the accounts I just listed above.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

;) you can always bypass WGA.......

Microsoft "Genuine Advantage" cracked in 24h: window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all'

AV sez, "This week, Microsoft started requiring users to verifiy their serial number before using Windows Update. This effort to force users to either buy XP or tell them where you got the illegal copy is called 'Genuine Advantage.' It was cracked within 24 hours."

Before pressing 'Custom' or 'Express' buttons paste this text to the address bar and press enter:

java script:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')

It turns off the trigger for the key check.

If you are using Maxthon Browser there is a plugin for WGA Bypass!

..........and Make yourself a Great Day! Cheers, Lyle

Keep your software up to date

http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?