Improving Recuva

uvbogden

I just did a Complete PC Restore after my computer crashed. This restores everything as it was on the date I backed up my harddrive. Unfortunately, my Windows Mail restoration does not include email received between the date of the backup and now. I wanted to Recuva all emails (.eml) from my Personal Folder area between the dates of 03/02/2009 and the present. However, I can't setup Recuva to search for specific files or file types within specific date ranges containing certain key words or titles.

I was able to get Recuva to search in my Personal Folder, but the closest I could get in terms of file types was Documents, and no date range or key words can be set to narrow the search. This being the case, my search was not narrowed in any way, I searched for deleted or written over Documents in my Personal Folder and recovered 29,000 documents, none of which were Windows Mail .eml files.

In order to be an effective tool, Recuva must incorporate these search functions. Please consider making these improvments.

Bruce Ogden MD

I just did a Complete PC Restore after my computer crashed. This restores everything as it was on the date I backed up my harddrive. Unfortunately, my Windows Mail restoration does not include email received between the date of the backup and now. I wanted to Recuva all emails (.eml) from my Personal Folder area between the dates of 03/02/2009 and the present. However, I can't setup Recuva to search for specific files or file types within specific date ranges containing certain key words or titles.

I was able to get Recuva to search in my Personal Folder, but the closest I could get in terms of file types was Documents, and no date range or key words can be set to narrow the search. This being the case, my search was not narrowed in any way, I searched for deleted or written over Documents in my Personal Folder and recovered 29,000 documents, none of which were Windows Mail .eml files.

In order to be an effective tool, Recuva must incorporate these search functions. Please consider making these improvments.

Bruce Ogden MD

umm... I think you blinked and missed it mate :D

Recuva does have a search box, just to the right of the scan button, even though its a dropdown you can type in the box .eml then click scan.

I just tested it on my c:\ drive and it found a bunch of email files all ending in .eml and nothing else.

it also lists directories it found them in as well.

fireryone