Wipe free space, 11GB left had 100gb..

Thrill

I ran ccleaners wipe free space, it wipes your free space to ultimately give you more, and it fill your HDD up, then empties it again.

82% through, my PC freezes, I have to hit restart now I boot up with only 11GB remaining out of my 180GB, I had around 100GB remaining now I have 11GB..

any ideas?

Im guessing it creates massive temporary files, just not sure where they're located :) thanks.

• Moderators

Hi Thrill, and welcome to the forum.

This appears pretty much to be the result when any "Wipe Free Space" application doesn't complete for whatever reason. See if this earlier post helps in any way.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20833&hl=

The developers of CCleaner do read all these posts, and I'm sure they'll be looking into this particular problem.

Was in C:\, 1 file was 99GB and the other was like 10GB - thanks for the speedy reply. So basically Ccleaner creates a massive file which fills up the hard drive and then deletes it, still working out how this actually clears free space, whats the exact procedure and how does this free space?

Been using Ccleaner for years, and I tell you it's the best free application out there. I'd pay money for it :)

• Moderators

There is an entry in the CCleaner guide on the new Piriform Docs site regarding this new feature.

This is the relevant section:

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/using-cc...free-disk-space

You'll appreciate that this feature is also new to us mere mortals on the forum, and therefore any problems that appear are also new.

However, one of the developers is having a look at the best way to rectify this particular problem of the process not completing, and the resultant appearance of lost disk space.

As soon as the right solution is forthcoming, the new guide will most likely be updated, and we'll have a definitive answer here on the forum, although it appears from your reply that you've managed to sort it out yourself. Thanks for posting back with the information, as other members will benefit from that.

EDIT: The feature isn't exactly to clear free space, but to wipe it of data. Normal deletion simply removes the entry of a deleted file from the Master File Table, although the data itself is still there, but available to the OS to be written over.

• Moderators

Why does it seem like I am the only one who has not had any problems with wipe freespace :-/ Maybe it did just stay on 100% for a while and Because I wasn't hawking over it it actually finished; only the Shadow (copy) knows.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Mine runs without problem as well, but in the event of it stopping before completion, for whatever reason, even an unexpected powercut, then there has to be a right or best way found to rectify that.

This isn't just a CCleaner issue. You can find the same problem popping up with other "Wipe Free Space" applications if you google around.