Run ccleaner at shutdown?

matttye

I was just wondering if there's a way to run CCleaner automatically at shutdown rather than startup? At the moment I run it manually every time I shut down but I forget sometimes.

On a side note I can't believe such a great program was written in visual basic! First time I ran it a few weeks ago it removed gigabytes of unused files and registry keys, and sped up my computer no end. I swear by it now :D

• Moderators

You might want to have a read here Mattye

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=16551

and here

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/advanced...line-parameters

Welcome to the forum :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I was just wondering if there's a way to run CCleaner automatically at shutdown rather than startup? At the moment I run it manually every time I shut down but I forget sometimes.

On a side note I can't believe such a great program was written in visual basic! First time I ran it a few weeks ago it removed gigabytes of unused files and registry keys, and sped up my computer no end. I swear by it now :D

Wow, in VB??? That amazes me, I was sure it had to be C++.

The best way to make an automatic cleaning, if you do not prefer it to be an icon in your desktop which you can click at will (because cleaning of temporary files after the restart of an install could harm your computer) would best be set in the Task Scheduler at Start -> Computer (Right Click) -> Manage - > System Tools -> Task Scheduler. Or you could just find it in control panel under administrative tools.

• 2 months later...

I thought of the group policy object method on my own the other day, but I'm having a problem with it. I have it run a batch file at shutdown, which is:

echo Script ran at last shutdown. > c:\users\karl\desktop\shutdownlog.txtC:\PROGRA~2\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe /auto

Note that these commands are correct individually. The first line is so I know the batch file was actually run. It drops a text file on my desktop, which I delete afterward. If the file is there, the script ran at shutdown. The second line is PROGRA~2 because I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 RC and the actual folder is "C:\Program Files (x86)\CCleaner". It's definitely correct because I can paste the line into a command prompt and it runs CCleaner. Each line does exactly what it should do.

And I know that the script is running at shutdown because it's dropping the text file on my desktop every time. But it's not cleaning. After restarting a few times, I ran CCleaner and analyzed, only to find I still had a gig of trash on my drive. I'm at a loss as to why.

• Moderators
The second line is PROGRA~2 because I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 RC and the actual folder is "C:\Program Files (x86)\CCleaner". It's definitely correct because I can paste the line into a command prompt and it runs CCleaner.

If CC isn't running perhaps change that path to something else like the full path on your system wrapping in quotes, that is if GPEDIT allows for that which I don't know:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe"

-or-

%ProgramFiles%\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe