How do I actually use the wipe free space option?

Herborist

• Moderators

On, or in, the CCleaner/Windows panel there is a checkbox right at the bottom of the Advanced section. Tick that and go. Go for a few beers, that is. It may take some time.

On, or in, the CCleaner/Windows panel there is a checkbox right at the bottom of the Advanced section. Tick that and go. Go for a few beers, that is. It may take some time.

When you first launch CCleaner, the first option (Cleaner) on the left side tab bar is selected by default. This is where the "Wipe Free Space" option appears and you need to select the corresponding check box. That's what Augeas is referring to. It's the last option at the bottom of the list. After that you'll need to select "Run Cleaner" at the bottom right of your screen for it to start.

BEFORE this you must select the drives you want it to wipe, which is under Options, Settings at the bottom right of the text.

When you first launch CCleaner, the first option (Cleaner) on the left side tab bar is selected by default. This is where the "Wipe Free Space" option appears and you need to select the corresponding check box. That's what Augeas is referring to. It's the last option at the bottom of the list. After that you'll need to select "Run Cleaner" at the bottom right of your screen for it to start.

BEFORE this you must select the drives you want it to wipe, which is under Options, Settings at the bottom right of the text.

Ah, I see, thanks! I was just checking the box for drives, I didn't see the option at the bottom of the cleaner screen.

I wonder what does it do. Seems like it kinda defrags the free space.

Sometimes your system doesn't actually "delete" the files that you tell it to; wiping the free space ensures that you're using the maximum amount of free space on your drive(s). The cleaner writes a large file (or chunks) as large as the free space your computer has (the real physical free space, not what it thinks it has) and then deletes it.