System Volume Information

fragghead

I've been using Defraggler for a few days and it's been working great. The only problem I've had is that it won't recognize and therefore won't defrag an occassional system volume information restore file. This fragmented file shows in the Windows defrag program. Is this something that can be fixed in a future Defraggler version?

I think the issue he is referring to is that is won't defrag the Volume Shadow Copies, not that they are being deleted. I have this same issue. Large VSC won't defrag. It would seem that Defraggler won't touch the Volume Shadow Copies for fear of deleting them.

I'm using XP2. Some system volume information files will defrag. Sometimes all the files will be defragged. Then the small fragmented file will return. It's not a big deal compared to other issues noted on this forum. Auslogics will clean this file. Just figured Piriform might tweak the program. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the program.

fragghead, Windows SP3 has been available for almost a year and has several Critical Security Updates so it should be installed to protect the system and your information.

Also you should enable Automatic Updates or at least be notified that Updates are available.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I may be wrong here but under Vista I have not been able to defrag the Restore Point Information (System Volume Information) with anything. Perhaps Windows accesses these files at boot and as a result they're shown as in use and cannot be defragged? I mean the Vista shut down isn't a true shut down either, so who knows when it accesses things...

Every once in a while I will go to the hard drive Properties then Disk cleanup then More Options then Clean up... to remove old Restore Points.

I mean the Vista shut down isn't a true shut down either

On my Vista system when I shut it down then it is definitely off.

Have you set the system to either go into Sleep or Suspended state?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I haven't set anything. Out of the box Vista turns the machine off when you shut it down, but it acts more as a hibernate. It saves state and restores at startup. Nothing was changed. I can manually shut it down by selecting that option from the Shut Down Menu, but the main shut down option hibernates... :? When I first received the computer I researched this a bit and it seemed like a standard feature of Vista to speed up startup.