Removing Ad-Aware Startup Question

Bartolo

Earlier this week I removed both Ad-Aware and TeaTimer from my Startup list with CCleaner, but the icon for Ad-Aware keeps showing up in my system tray. Also, Process Explorer shows both a service app and a tray app as being active for Ad-Aware.

Before I un-install Ad-Aware with CCleaner, I was wondering if that will totally get rid of it, or whether some kind of boot-up error might happen.

Is this to be expected; to see an application still showing up in the tray and in Process Explorer after being removed from Startup by CCleaner?

Thanks,

Bartolo

I had the same issue with Ad-Aware myself... I chose to uninstall it because they continue to bloat the program... I am now using Windows Defender for real time spyware/adware protection and SuperAntiSpyware for the occasional weekly scans. Removing Ad-Aware with CCleaner should not cause any boot time errors.

Keith

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

You're very welcome :) Let us know if you have any other questions.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

• Moderators

Just an addon to Keiths advice, open Taskmanager "Ctrl-Alt-Del", and make sure no AdAware services are running before you uninstall. It's looks like there's probably something running from what you say.

If they are, select them and "End Task". Or you may be able to right click the Sys Tray icon and shut it down that way. I've never used that program, so I don't know what it has running.

Dennis is right...

The uninstaller should kill all processes and services associated with it but if in case it doesn't, you can kill them. If you are using Vista, task manager shows processes/services. But if you are using XP, you'll need a program like ProcessExplorer to see the services. There's usually services like adwatch, aawservice or something like that, etc...

link1.gif

• Moderators

In order to stop Ad-Aware from starting with Windows you'd have to set its service to either Manual, or Disabled. Of course the end all of stopping it is of course to completely uninstall it, if that's the case get a good replacement like MBAM which won't run at every system start and is only manually started in the free version.

In order to stop Ad-Aware from starting with Windows you'd have to set its service to either Manual, or Disabled. Of course the end all of stopping it is of course to completely uninstall it, if that's the case get a good replacement like MBAM which won't run at every system start and is only manually started in the free version.

MBAM is light years ahead of Ad-Aware and in the likes of Norton or McAfee for bloat but then whatever bloat's your float is up to you.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
MBAM is light years ahead of Ad-Aware and in the likes of Norton or McAfee for bloat but then whatever bloat's your float is up to you.

I use MBAM myself now, since it's part of the Malware Removal requirements on the forums. The newest version when doing a Full Scans checks my whole system approximately 50% faster than the previous version, that's a serious performance increase for just one version.

I love MBAM. I swear by it!

link1.gif

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

is it listed in ccleaner's startup tool, next time please don't hijack a thread, instead start your own, and probably in this case in the computer section.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com