CCleaner wiping wanted cookies

Phonemes

Hi,

I have been using CCleaner for many years but never seen this happen before. For a few weeks now, CCleaner appears to erase the IE cookies I have set be be kept. Nearly all of these are login cookies.

I use Avant Browser, an IE shell type of browser that uses IE cookies, on a fully updated XP Pro system.

Whenever I use the cleaner, these cookies are deleted, but strangely enough only after I reboot my computer. The pattern is consistent. No cookies are lost when I reboot without having used CCleaner.

Any ideas out there what might be causing this?

TIA, Arthur

Edit: I just saw a few bug reports about this same problem. Some of the posters mention using IE8 beta. and that is what I am doing. It may be a problem with the IE beta.

I'm with Phonemes. Have the same problems with CCleaner wiping login-cookies since a few weeks back. Everything ran real fine until then and I really appreciated CCleaners "keep cookies-functionality" but as per above, that is unfortunately gone now. I just downloaded the lastest version, 2.17.853, but still have the same problems.

To test I have "unsaved" cookies and resaved them but to no avail, CCleaner still wipes a number the log-in-cookies that I want to keep.

The only change to this PC in the last couple of weeks is to have removed F-Secure and replaced it with Avast Home.

I use IE 6.0, no changes there.

Regards

PiPPi

Stockholm, Sweden

Welcome PiPPi

What operating system are you using?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I don't have a problem on my XP Home nor Pro systems and by the way SP3 has been out for almost 8 months now and has several Security fixes and if you haven't read about Conficker infection then your system is a prime target:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=19870

IE7 is much safer and has Tabbed browsing:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ie/default.mspx

IE7Pro adds several nice features in IE7:

http://www.ie7pro.com

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Thanks for the reply.

I've spent some time on this now because I like CCleaner a lot and found a fix last night. Some pointer (the TIF desktop.ini?) to my user accounts cookie storage folder has been corrupted somewhere along the line.

A real timesaver was that the "cookies to keep" were intact in the user accounts cookie folder. I backed up the cookies and tried a few things to fix the issue. What made things finally work was to go into the settings for "Temporary Internet files" in IE and change the location of the "Temporary Internet files folder". This in turn forces a logout/login and after that things were back to normal.

Why this works I am not sure. My understanding is that the desktop.ini file for the Temporary Internet Files-folders somehow mirrors what is physically stored in the user account cookie folder. Could be that changing the TIF folder resets a broken TIF desktop.ini-file to correctly look for the cookies in the user account cookie folder. Whatever, CCleaners "cookies to save"-function works real fine again and I've learned something new. In all a good thing.

Why the problem appeared in the first place is yet another issue. Looking at the reports on this problem here, the common denominator is that the problem started popping up in the "last couple of weeks". When was 2.16.830 released?

Regards

PiPPi

• 3 weeks later...

May or maybe not the same problem, but similar. I don't check the clean cookies, but I still lose cookies. The only thing that I saw remotly related to cookies when I run analyze is ==>

documents and settings\xyxyxy\cookies\index.dat

My cookie folder still has cookies in it, but the index.dat file is recreated when I enter IE. And the sites I want the cookies for, don't see them.

Using IE7, XP home Sp3 (up to date), but CC v2.15.815

will be update CC now, so I'll see if this continues.

May or maybe not the same problem, but similar. I don't check the clean cookies, but I still lose cookies. The only thing that I saw remotly related to cookies when I run analyze is ==>

My cookie folder still has cookies in it, but the index.dat file is recreated when I enter IE. And the sites I want the cookies for, don't see them.

papadelta,

You might want to have a look here: Choosing which cookies to keep. Let us know if this helps. Also, let us know if the most up to date version fixes your problem as well.

swagger

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

• Moderators

Yes this is the reason (esp b/c it happens to you at reboot) uncheck index.dat

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com