New MS Browser More Secure Than FF Or Chrome

Humpty

Probably can't connect to the net which makes it much more secure. :blink:

Just kidding, will have to wait and see?

Microsoft researchers are developing a new Web browser that they say could offer a far greater degree of security than Google's Chrome, Mozilla's Firefox or Microsoft's own Internet Explorer.

The browser, called Gazelle, relies on 5,000 lines of C# code called a "browser kernel" that helps enforce security rules to prevent malicious access to the PC's underlying operating system, according to a recently published paper.

So far, Gazelle is just a prototype, with other parts of the browser based on Microsoft's IE. Due to the complex nature of the way it processes Web pages for better security, the browser's performance is more tortoise than gazelle, but the researchers think a few tweaks can make it faster.

Computerwork UK Article

• Moderators

Sounds interesting, but I don't like:

with other parts of the browser based on Microsoft's IEwith other parts of the browser based on Microsoft's IE

One of the main problems with IE is that its so integrated with Windows. I seriously wish MS would scrap IE and develop a browser that is a separate program all together. This may actually happen though because the EU is trying to make MS release a version of windows without a browser, maybe this gazelle thing is based on IE but isn't just a shell on top of it.

• Moderators
Microsoft should build a Windows more secure !

They should, so long as it didn't rely upon things like UAC and wouldn't be flop. Remember when XP was released some people on TV tech shows were saying "viruses are a thing of the past, system restore will get rid of them" - hype like that wasn't even close to true. No matter how secure something is locked down someone will always invent a key to get into it.

No matter how secure something is locked down someone will always invent a key to get into it.

There is too much $$$ at stake as their very existence depends upon the $$$ they make to provide the basic necessities of life and sometimes a little Vodka to toast their victories.

Thank &Deity for Malwarebytes MBAM and the anti virus application makers for providing protection and removal software to ward off the purveyors of perversion.

Two more days until I get to experience the joys of UAC on my new Vista Premium system. ;)

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

One of the main problems with IE is that its so integrated with Windows. I seriously wish MS would scrap IE and develop a browser that is a separate program all together. This may actually happen though because the EU is trying to make MS release a version of windows without a browser, maybe this gazelle thing is based on IE but isn't just a shell on top of it.

How would anyone get on the internet right out of the box though? Is the 'average' user savvy enough or have the resources to download a browser from another computer, throw it on a disc or thumbdrive and install it?

Two more days until I get to experience the joys of UAC on my new Vista Premium system. ;)

The UAC is terrible. I disabled it after 3 days on my new Vista laptop.

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

• Moderators
How would anyone get on the internet right out of the box though? Is the 'average' user savvy enough or have the resources to download a browser from another computer, throw it on a disc or thumbdrive and install it?

I don't know, thats the big discussion a lot of tech journalists I read are having.

I assume they would have to include an installer for IE, just not have it preinstalled. Given how IE is integrated into the OS, all they probably would do is hide the icons. :lol:

• Moderators
Given how IE is integrated into the OS, all they probably would do is hide the icons. :lol:

That's is or was a quick and easy registry change to do that. Don't know if it's the same in IE7 or newer though. Then again they may have themselves covered since the name was changed to Windows Internet Explorer.

Right out of the box I plugged my new Vista Home Premium system into my DSL modem and IE7 came up on MSN.com which I changed to google.com then installed IE7Pro, McAfee SiteAdvisor and avast! Premium.

The UAC is terrible. I disabled it after 3 days on my new Vista laptop.

I like UAC and like its protection warnings so that I can decide if I really want to let an application run.

Ratz!

I'm getting a head cold with runny nose, sneezing and watery eyes so I'm going to see if my Advil cold tablets in the medicine have not expired.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
I like UAC and like its protection warnings so that I can decide if I really want to let an application run.

Ratz!

I'm getting a head cold with runny nose, sneezing and watery eyes so I'm going to see if my Advil cold tablets in the medicine have not expired.

Does UAC warn all the time though about what I'd deem remedial stuff like manually running Windows Disk Defragmenter on your system? I ask because on a friends system she was having issues installing some of her expensive commercial sewing software so I put the software on, then went to defrag the system which actually needed it then was confronted with UAC, did something else and there was UAC again, really annoying in the end.

I hope you get to feeling better, colds are awful. Be careful taking Advil with Ibuprofen, this is why I stopped taking Ibuprofen as a pain medication.

• Moderators

[Off Topic]

Pity you don't live in the UK Kenny, tonight we have the first in a series named ''Grow your own drugs''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00j3ktd

Bet there will be a lot of students watch this thinking....

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Does UAC warn all the time though about what I'd deem remedial stuff like manually running Windows Disk Defragmenter on your system? I ask because on a friends system she was having issues installing some of her expensive commercial sewing software so I put the software on, then went to defrag the system which actually needed it then was confronted with UAC, did something else and there was UAC again, really annoying in the end.

So is malware!

At least UAC warns me when an application wants to run and if I recognize it I will let it run.

I would much rather be warned when something is trying to run that I want as to have something run that I don't want and be sorry that it snuck in behind my back.

As the old saying goes YOU CAN?T EAT YOUR CAKE AND HAVE IT TOO

I hope you get to feeling better, colds are awful. Be careful taking Advil with Ibuprofen, this is why I stopped taking Ibuprofen as a pain medication.

My doctor recommend it for me last time I had a cold and even my dentist recommended it for minor toothache.

By the way its Dr. Seuss day on Google:

http://www.seussville.com

IE7Pro user

[Off Topic]

Pity you don't live in the UK Kenny, tonight we have the first in a series named ''Grow your own drugs''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00j3ktd

Bet there will be a lot of students watch this thinking....

They grow some really good ones on the west coast of Canada but the local police have the philosophy of Don't do this at home and the US could send a person to rest in prison to keep Bubba the wife murderer company. :blink:

IE7Pro user

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Something doesn't suck just because it doesn't work right on your computer. There are plenty of people out there who have good reviews about IE8, so that probably means that IE8 was a good upgrade from IE7. Except that I can't have that upgrade on my comp.