Disk Cleanup after using CCleaner 2.16

denmarfl

Running Vista Home Prem\32bit. Been running CCLeaner for over a year. After running the most recent ver...when I ran Disk Cleanup I saw 4 entries that I have NEVER seen before:

Per user Archived Windows Error Report... 65.7MB

Per User Queued Windows error Report... 828MB

System Archived Windows Error Report... 60.6KB

System Queued Windows Error report,,,, 580MB

There is a Link that explains this issue:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/175654-d...ng-bug-fix.html

NOTE

This is thought to be caused by some registry cleaning program that was allowed to delete or delete part of these registry entries located at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches

WARNING

Cleaning these listed items in Disk Cleanup without fixing this bug first will cause you to have to reinstall Vista.

So it appears CCleaner 2.16 deleted or deleted part of a registry entried that has caused this issue....and the link also reads:

The Link provides a .reg file that it says fixes the Registry problem caused by the 3rd party Cleaner. I have done nothing as yet....since the link although is right on point for this issue, is not a Microsoft Site.

Should I run this FIX? How should I correct this issue? Given I have never seen these 4 entries ever before, surely they cannot be a normal thing to see after running Disk Cleanup.

Anyone else experince this issue? Hopefully Pirform is now aware of this and will fix the problem......I certainly will not run 2.16 again......

• Moderators

Reading your posted link seems to imply that the problem occurs when the listed items below have huge GB file sizes, and that it is fine both to see and remove these entries when they have relatively low amounts to remove, as they say you should be fine with only 5GB total.

Now I am not going to tell you to run CC, and if I did you shouldn't just do as I say. The problem hasn't been reported by other Vista users, and I'm sure they would squeal if they had to reload the O/S. Perhaps the developers will be able to reassure you.

There's a lot of posted stuff on this on Google, this http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1117136.htm being one of the first, with some good links.

And this: I came across this paragraph from the MSDN documentation:

Description for the Folder registry value:

A specific folder or folders to search for items matching entries in the FileList value. You can specify wildcards using the ? or * characters. If the value is of type REG_SZ, multiple folder names are separated using the | character, without spaces on either side of it. If a CSIDL value is present, only one folder can be specified in this value. The location indicated by the CSIDL value is prepended to that folder path to compose a search path. For an example, see the CSIDL value description. If this value is absent, the root folder of the current volume is used. The DDEVCF_DOSUBDIRS flag is needed in that case to search the entire drive.

Note the last line which states that the Disk Cleanup will recursively search the entire volume for the list of files mentioned in the FileList registry value (*.* wildcard used in this case) and include everything on the volume for deletion, if the DDEVCF_DOSUBDIRS flags is enabled (which is enabled by default).