google lattitude. intrusive? or fun social tool?

Xion44

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29027658/

what are your opinions of googles newest software designed to track down friends via cellphone?

i think it is a big privacy issue.

80999699qp6.jpg
From my prespective, winvista club is a very good forum for all things windows related.
They have helped me and many others in the past. Excellent hints and advice!

BigSmile.png

As long as it's voluntary, I think it's great. I think it has the ability to be abused though and I am a bit wary.....but I can give you my two thoughts on it.....

We recieve lots of 911 calls to our police/ambulance/fire from cell phones all the time....It's beginning to become the norm that lot's of people forgo landlines and use cells. In many cases people call 911 and then hang up, due to battery life of cell, forced to by someone on the scene, etc....and we have no idea, unless they tell us first, where they are. If they are intoxicated it becomes even more difficult to get their location. Or if they are injured and can't speak, they cant tell us. So something like this would be AWESOME in pinpointing the location of an emergency....We have had a few incidents as of late where people have gone into the woods on snowmobiles, etc. and had called 911 and didnt know their location and then actually died before responders could locate them. If we had this technology lives could be saved, so over all i am in favour of it.

Another great thing is with children. I will definately be getting all of my children cell phones when they are a bit older and will/would enable this technology (with their knowledge) on the phones. With all the weirdos and such out there, i feel safer knowing I could locate my children if need be.

At work we have gps on our movements at all times, located in the vehicle, and in our handsets. Lots of guys don't like it, but personally, if i need back up, i want them to know EXACTLY where i am in the case of need.

Sometimes privacy rights can take a back burner to safety in my humble opinion. :)

in a way it could be considered to be like "big brother" type of tool..or as you say, "helpful" it remains to be seen in the coming months how the public takes to this new program.

80999699qp6.jpg
From my prespective, winvista club is a very good forum for all things windows related.
They have helped me and many others in the past. Excellent hints and advice!

BigSmile.png

• Moderators
it remains to be seen in the coming months how the public takes to this new program.

In the future I'd think most governments will know exactly where all their citizens and illegal aliens are located within their borders via tracking, either through some gadget or even more futurist biologically via DNA.

An intrusion to personal freedom yes, however in some cases safety will be greatly multiplied and it could deter truely sick people from hurting others.

I like the "typo" at the bottom of the page:

Google shares rose $2.55 to $343 Wednesday. ....Thats quite a jump.

A bit like the fires you are enduring

I know the NEWS is probably sensationalizing it but never the less I pity the people and their families that it impacts.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user