COOKIES NOT SAVED

SCREENBOB

I'm a long-time happy user of CCleaner who has just encountered a problem with cookies and passwords. I am running CCleaner version 2.16.830, Windows XP Pro, Internet Explorer 8 Beta (recently installed), AOL 9.0 VR.

In the past week, I am unable to save passwords with my online banking, facebook, etc. One example is Weather Underground in which after a reboot, all of my "favorites" disappear.

I have lowered security settings in IE 8 to accept all cookies.

The cookies do NOT appear in the cookies list even after I have cleaned and gone back to websites and re-entered the info. A lot of these have been saved previously and still appear in the saved cookies section, but the websites don't "remember" me.

Is this a problem with Internet Explorer 8 settings? Help!

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Ccleaner corrupts my bookmarks in IE7, Vista. They remain in bookmarks-list but trying to use them they crash IE7.

I took away from Ccleaner (newest 2.16.830) all internet options plus win regedit. Now bookmarks stay ok.

I have not tried what option was to blame, because corrupted bookmarks had to be deleted one by one and close down IE also.

Jaakko

Why would IE8 Beta be an issue with cookies? The CCleaner knows it is deleting cookies because it says so in the log file. I have this same problem on Vista Ultimate. I have unchecked the cookies selection but it deletes them anyway. Doesn't make sense, at least to me. :)

I may have the same problem. I posted this in the main discussion forum:

I have been using CCleaner for many years but never seen this happen before. For a few weeks now, CCleaner appears to erase the IE cookies I have set be be kept. Nearly all of these are login cookies.

I use Avant Browser, an IE shell type of browser that uses IE cookies, on a fully updated XP Pro system.

Whenever I use the cleaner, these cookies are deleted, but strangely enough only after I reboot my computer. The pattern is consistent. No cookies are lost when I reboot without having used CCleaner.

Any ideas out there what might be causing this?

TIA, Arthur

I forgot to mention there that I am using IE8 (and Avant uses it as well). Who knows, that may be the cause after all.

A fix that worked for my setup.

Below is a post of mine from another thread on the same subject. I had the same problem with CCleaner removing "cookies to save", I use Win XP Pro SP2, IE6 and 2.17.853 of CCleaner. I had the cookies problem with 2.16 and upgraded to 2.17 for trying to solve the issue but that did not work.

The fix that worked for me is as per below:

I've spent some time on this now because I like CCleaner a lot and found a fix last night. Some pointer (the TIF desktop.ini?) to my user accounts cookie storage folder has been corrupted somewhere along the line.

A real timesaver was that the "cookies to keep" were intact in the user accounts cookie folder. I backed up the cookies and tried a few things to fix the issue. What made things finally work was to go into the settings for "Temporary Internet files" in IE and change the location of the "Temporary Internet files folder". This in turn forces a logout/login and after that things were back to normal.

Why this works I am not sure. My understanding is that the desktop.ini file for the Temporary Internet Files-folders somehow mirrors what is physically stored in the user account cookie folder. Could be that changing the TIF folder resets a broken TIF desktop.ini-file to correctly look for the cookies in the user account cookie folder. Whatever, CCleaners "cookies to save"-function works real fine again and I've learned something new. In all a good thing.

Why the problem appeared in the first place is yet another issue. Looking at the reports on this problem here, the common denominator is that the problem started popping up in the "last couple of weeks". When was 2.16.830 released?

Regards

PiPPi

PiPPi,

Did you actually change the location of the TIF folder or did you just "change" it to its present position? I tried the second approach (keeping the TIF folder in the same place). The computer rebooted after I did that, but the probem was not solved for me. I'm a bit hesitant to change the location of the folder, as I'm uncertain whether other programs - such as CCleaner but others as well - would still be able to find the TIS folder.

TIA, Arthur

Did you actually change the location of the TIF folder or did you just "change" it to its present position? I tried the second approach (keeping the TIF folder in the same place). The computer rebooted after I did that, but the probem was not solved for me.
I changed it to a whole new directory location under "C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserAccount\Local Settings\" and it worked. After that I changed it back to the original XP Pro location just to keep things tidy. It worked no matter where I put it.

Notice that under XP Pro, the default TIF location is "C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserAccount\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files". To set IE back to this directory you need to specify only "C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserAccount\Local Settings\" as IE adds the directory called "Temporary Internet Files" by default.

I'm a bit hesitant to change the location of the folder, as I'm uncertain whether other programs - such as CCleaner but others as well - would still be able to find the TIS folder.
I hear you and don't have solid knowledge about how the TIF folder works but just playing around the way I did made it it clear that really changing the TIF location was the key to setting the cookie-folder-to-TIF "pointers" correct for both IE and CCleaner.

An added bonus was that changing the folder location completely deleted all old TIF content, something that was not possible before the folder change (trying to manually delete TIF folders would generate the ol' "Cannot delete, file in use" type of error).

Granted, this fix has only been in place for about 24 hours but I've been through the paces with CCleaner all day with no issues whatsoever.

Regards

PiPPi

Hi PiPPi,

And thanks for anwering. Unfortunately the trick doesn't work for me. I changed the TIF folder's location and changed it back to its original location afterwards, but in both cases, the cookies I've set to be kept are erased. So perhaps it has to do with the IE8 beta on my system. For the time being I'll set CCleaner nt to wipe cookies at all. Hopefully the problem will be solved in a next release.

Best, Arthur