RAM

xbrianx

I have been thinking about upgrading my desktop RAM(1GB, 2x512MB) and my laptop(1GB, not sure about the sticks), but I would rather remove the old RAM and use 2 or less new sticks. I know that when I upgraded my desktop, I had to figure out the placement on the motherboard for the best results and how much it could handle. I also had to match the MHz speed(clocking speed?). However, if I were to buy 2 2GB sticks, do I need to match the previous MHz speeds and placement?

Also, the same thing about the laptop, but I have not figured out the speeds, placement or anything yet.

xbrianx,

The information you provided is pretty generic. To best help you, how about specifying what type of systems you have... Even better would be to give us the exact make and model of the motherboard. That will tell us exactly what type of memory you can and cannot have in your systems.

You can download CPU-Z which is a small, neat little program that gives you hardware information about your processor(s), motherboard, and memory.

Keith

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

I find that crucial.com shows the installed RAM and an upgrade path for required RAM is easy to understand:

http://www.crucial.com

You don't have to buy from them.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

That works too :)

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry for the delay in responding. I've been kind of busy with school, all the hype about getting accepted to a college, and just general laziness. :P I hope this is enough information.

Here are the laptop specs(everything is stock):

Processor: AMD Turion 64 Mobile MK-38

Core Speed: 2.2GHz(1 core)

Motherboard: Acer Navarro

RAM: 1GB DDR2(Weird, because when I first got it, CCleaner said I only had 768MB :huh: )

Slot 1 and 2 are 2 512MB PC2-5300(333MHz) sticks

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Desktop(Upgraded RAM to 1GB):

Processor: Pentium 4

Core Speed: 2.99MHz(1 Core, 2 Threads)

Motherboard: Intel i925x

RAM: 1GB DDR2

Slot 1: 256 MB, PC2-3200(200MHz)

Slot 2: 512 MB, PC2-4300(266MHz)

Slot 3: 256 MB, PC2- 3200

Windows XP Home SP3

In the Desktop, the standard sticks were the 2 256MB in Slot 1 and 3.

And, just to reiterate myself, I'm trying to find out if I could just remove all the sticks in either computer(or both) and just replace them with 2 2GB sticks. I'm not sure about the maximum RAM the laptop motherboard can hold though. Thanks.

RAM: 1GB DDR2(Weird, because when I first got it, CCleaner said I only had 768MB )
32MB is used by video RAM

What does crucial.com recommend?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

My "instant email" function isn't so instant :huh:

I don't even remember which Dell this is, as I'm assuming the drop- down list was asking for computer manufacturer. I think I picked the right one, I'm almost certain that my online Dell booklet for the computer said that the maximum RAM it can hold is 4GB and I know it's an 8400 series.

# Graphics Support: PCI Express x16

# Maximum Memory: 4096MB

# Slots: 4 (2 banks of 2)

# Standard Memory: 256 or 512MB removable

# USB Support: 2.x Compliant

" Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory."

I've been following a site that hosts deals on multiple times of items, and there's almost always a good deal on RAM. I'm just curious if the number after PC2(like 5300) or the MHz speed mattered if I were to remove all the sticks already being used.

1GB per slot and PC2 6400/800Mhz is the most you can do on your motherboard. I would recommend running the same speed and brand of memory REGARDLESS of what you get... PC5300/667Mhz wouldn't be bad either though.

I hope this helps,

Keith

link1.gif

1GB per slot and PC2 6400/800Mhz is the most you can do on your motherboard. I would recommend running the same speed and brand of memory REGARDLESS of what you get... PC5300/667Mhz wouldn't be bad either though.

I hope this helps,

Keith

Okay, thanks! Hopefully I can find a good deal on your suggested specs. :)