Microsoft add-on for Firefox

hazelnut

i noticed this after getting last update and asked self, what the heck is this? should i remove it? i thought it was nessesary

80999699qp6.jpg
From my prespective, winvista club is a very good forum for all things windows related.
They have helped me and many others in the past. Excellent hints and advice!

BigSmile.png

• Moderators

I didn't care for that big update but installed it anyways, then the surprise of an add-on I didn't want or need. Like Firefox needs something in it to make it possibly less secure. :rolleyes:

I fully removed it. Had to manually edit Firefox's prefs.js file though to fully remove it from the preferences, then followed up with running a couple of registry cleaners to remove references to those Windows folders where the plugin resided.

well for now ive disabled it. is odd they add it without telling you..is like rogue entity with ninja like tendencies

80999699qp6.jpg
From my prespective, winvista club is a very good forum for all things windows related.

BigSmile.png

• Moderators

When I update my mothers laptop later on I'm going to write a CCleaner winapp2.ini cleaning entry for it, although I know it won't be able to cover the Firefox prefs.js file which will still have to be manually edited unless of course CCleaner is ran before starting Firefox.

I'll see what happens within the next hour or two and post any comments, and the cleaning routine.

Just disable it.

Just don't install Firefox!

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

The instructions are built into the cleaning routine description.

Paste this into CCleaner's winapp2.ini file:

[*Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Firefox Addon]; Removes the Microsoft .NET Firefox Addon which end-users aren't even; given the courtesy of an opt-out option to not install.;: Run this cleaning routine BEFORE starting Firefox after installing; the .NET Framework SP1 update from Microsoft Update. If you run this; before starting Firefox there won't be any extra steps such as; manual registry editing, or editing the Firefox preferences file; prefs.js. ;; After running this cleaning rountine run CCleaner's registry cleaner; to remove the uninstall references pointing to the addon.LangSecRef=3025DetectFile=%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation\DotNetAssistantExtension\install.rdfDefault=FalseFileKey1=%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation\DotNetAssistantExtension|*.*|RECURSE

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't have CCleaner's winapp2.ini file copy the below text in the code box and paste it into an empty Notepad window, then save as (including the quotes):

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\winapp2.ini"

; CCleaner winapp2.ini Application Cleaning File Add-on;; Notes; ---------------------------------------; LangSecRef;  3021 = Applications;  3022 = Internet;  3023 = Multimedia;  3024 = Utilities;  3025 = Windows;; Starting with CCleaner v2.02.525 the following has been added:; %appdata%, %LocalAppData% and %CommonAppData% variable support added to INI files; allowing "Application Data" references to work on non-English versions of Windows.[*Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Firefox Addon]; Removes the Microsoft .NET Firefox Addon which end-users aren't even; given the courtesy of an opt-out option to not install.;: Run this cleaning routine BEFORE starting Firefox after installing; the .NET Framework SP1 update from Microsoft Update. If you run this; before starting Firefox there won't be any extra steps such as; manual registry editing, or editing the Firefox preferences file; prefs.js. ;; After running this cleaning rountine run CCleaner's registry cleaner; to remove the uninstall references pointing to the addon.LangSecRef=3025DetectFile=%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation\DotNetAssistantExtension\install.rdfDefault=FalseFileKey1=%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation\DotNetAssistantExtension|*.*|RECURSE

Edit: Sorry this post will put side scrolling into effect due to the long directory name in the code.

dont install firefox is like telling the fireman not to put out the fire in my pants. FF is my life lol

80999699qp6.jpg

BigSmile.png

I've been reading about this in other tech forums and it actually maybe beneficial. Relative to the privacy issue (and I'm not condoning it), some of the threads mention how this is happening with many software distributions. My perfect example is Java Quick Starter as I never installed that but it's one of my extensions.