Moving MFT files?

Matt3232

I want to shrink down my windows partition to make room for a linux install. However, Windows won't let me resize the partition very much because there are still files at the end of the drive. Defraggler shows that there are MFT files at the end of the drive. I've ran defraggler a few times and ran a freespace defrag but the MFT files wouldn't budge. Is there any way to get defraggler to move these files?

capturetw2.png

I want to shrink down my windows partition to make room for a linux install. However, Windows won't let me resize the partition very much because there are still files at the end of the drive. Defraggler shows that there are MFT files at the end of the drive. I've ran defraggler a few times and ran a freespace defrag but the MFT files wouldn't budge. Is there any way to get defraggler to move these files?

capturetw2.png

Please see this thread for more info.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry125064

To summarize: AFAIK Defraggler, like other freeware defrag utilities cannot process the MFT. You'll need a commercial tool like Diskeeper 2009 (not Diskeeper Lite) to move/defragment the MFT.

BTW, IMHO if you want to parition for a dual boot setup, I strongly suggest that you backup all your essential data and start off with a clean drive. Fewer chances of future complications that way.

BTW, IMHO if you want to parition for a dual boot setup, I strongly suggest that you backup all your essential data and start off with a clean drive. Fewer chances of future complications that way.

I second deathadder's advice. When partitioning drives and installing multiples OS's, there's a lot that can go wrong (Now or down the line), so it makes sense to eliminate as much chance of that as possible.

Another option though, would be to use something like Microsoft Virtual PC (Which you can find here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...pc/default.mspx ). This allows you to install an OS directly into a "virtual hard disk", eliminating the need to partition or dual boot. When you want to run the guest OS you start up Virtual PC and start that particular OS. There are other programs that do this, such as VMWare, Virtual Box, etc., but I haven't used those options. In my opinion Microsoft Virtual PC works very well and is very easy to use. Microsoft Virtual PC is free too, which is always nice... ;)

Hope that helps,