Defrag Freespace - Leads to Fragmented Files?

AEon

Defraggler v1.06.118 with Windows XP Pro, SP3

Alas there is no online Help for the advanced defragging options:

On a lightly fragmented C:\ (61% empty) drive, a defragging via File list tab, will defrag all files, but leave a few gaps in the disk map. If you then Action menu, Advanced, Defrag Freespace (note this is *not* with "(allow fragmentation)") the lower part of the disk map will show many many fragmented red areas and leave a few "blanks" as well.

The C:\ drive used to have 83 fragmented files, then after File list defrag 0, and after Defrag Freespace a whopping 53 fragmented files.

Shouldn't Defrag Freespace try to remove the "noise" (small file trashing) in the larger blank (white) areas, and when trying to "plug" holes in the larger data blocks (blue areas), only do so if it does *not* lead to file fragmentation?

Could someone explain what these advanced options in Defraggler actually do?

• Defrag Freespace
  • Defrag Freespace (allow fragmentation)

I.e. how exactly a "Freespace" is defined? As a programmer I have a few ideas, but my tests do not run conform with my expectations. E.g. one Defrag Space turned out to be pretty much a Defrag Drive.

Thanks.

I think in practice, they both allow fragmentation. The ones with "(allow fragmentation)" should read more like "(by any means necessary)"

That is pretty much the way I understood it as well. Alas I do not defragment my HDs often enough to track down in more detail what was going on. Will keep an eye on it though the next time I get to defragmenting.