My desktop icons have disappeared

#1Novice

This is my second, and I think last post. I plan to get everything to do with this software as soon as possible. But in the meantime can someone please help me in retrieving my desktop icons? When I right click on the desktop there is no response whatever. I tried getting onto the desktop through everyway I can think of but guessing doesn't do it. Thanks for this forum and any help available.

• 2 weeks later...
This is my second, and I think last post. I plan to get everything to do with this software as soon as possible. But in the meantime can someone please help me in retrieving my desktop icons? When I right click on the desktop there is no response whatever. I tried getting onto the desktop through everyway I can think of but guessing doesn't do it. Thanks for this forum and any help available.

From what I heard of, here is what happened Windows Explorer is not working. To fix this, first press the famous ctrl+alt+del key sequence and select "Start Task Manager" go to file, select the create new task option, type "explorer.exe". If at the last step you get an error message, type instead "cmd.exe" and from there type "explorer.exe". If the command prompt is not visible, switch to it anyway and type the command anyway also. Windows Explorer should restart and everything should be back to normal.

If you have already done this, try searching for explorer crashes for the only other solution I can think of is to back up all your data and reinstall Windows.

Sorry for the long explanation.

• Moderators
If you have already done this, try searching for explorer crashes for the only other solution I can think of is to back up all your data and reinstall Windows.

With modern Windows systems a complete format and reinstall isn't always necessary. Sometimes just creating a new Windows user profile is enough to fix many issues if they're registry related in HKCU. However if they're registry problems in HKLM that's another problem in of itself.