Loss of transparency in icons, while in thumbnail mode.

catzilla4

After running Ccleaner 2.13 when it first came out, all my icons have lost their transparency and instead are bordered by white. This issue is resolved if I select "always use icons and never thumbnails" in the folder options menu. Considering this is undesirable, is there a way to fix this, and has what caused this in 2.13 been fixed in the latest version (2.16)? I've uploaded a picture my desktop excluding the sidebar and taskbar to show what happened.

Thanks for helping, Catzilla4.

Postscript: this what I am currently using,

Dell Inspiron 1721 AMD chipset (2GB decimal, 2.0 GHz Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology)

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

post-26296-1233079152_thumb.png

post-26296-1233079152_thumb.png

After running Ccleaner 2.13 when it first came out, all my icons have lost their transparency and instead are bordered by white. This issue is resolved if I select "always use icons and never thumbnails" in the folder options menu. Considering this is undesirable, is there a way to fix this, and has what caused this in 2.13 been fixed in the latest version (2.16)? I've uploaded a picture my desktop excluding the sidebar and taskbar to show what happened.

Thanks for helping, Catzilla4.

Postscript: this what I am currently using,

Dell Inspiron 1721 AMD chipset (2GB decimal, 2.0 GHz Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology)

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

I've never used Vista but... And I'll need someone to back me up here... If you had CCleaner delete your "Other Explorer MRUs" in the Windows section under the "Windows" tab, that might clear all of your preferred settings for the desktop. Just an idea. Anyone else got any?

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

I've never used Vista but... And I'll need someone to back me up here... If you had CCleaner delete your "Other Explorer MRUs" in the Windows section under the "Windows" tab, that might clear all of your preferred settings for the desktop. Just an idea. Anyone else got any?

Sorry, I forgot to mention what I tried, here it is as follows: switching between icon-only mode and thumbnails, toggling bit depth, and a few other methods from web searches. None worked.

If that is the cause, then any clue on how to restore the accidentally deleted files, and protect them from deletion in future scans?

If that is the cause, then any clue on how to restore the accidentally deleted files, and protect them from deletion in future scans?

Don't think you can recover deleted temporary files... But you could try finding that setting in Vista to make the icons appear transparent. Maybe somebody knows how to do that around here. I'll so some searching later on tonight or this weekend as well.

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

• Moderators

Some icon cache flushing programs destroy Windows ability to have transparency of icons. Perhaps it's a registry issue, then again it could be something else.

If possible in Vista try to switch your display color depth to something low like 256 colors, then switch it back to true colors and see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Some icon cache flushing programs destroy Windows ability to have transparency of icons. Perhaps it's a registry issue, then again it could be something else.

If possible in Vista try to switch your display color depth to something low like 256 colors, then switch it back to true colors and see if that helps.

I have tried toggling the color bit depth between 16 and 24 bit, it did not work unfortunately. At your suggestion, I set a program's compatibility to 256 colors and went into it and exited. Nothing doing.

Postscript:

From what I heard while trying to find a solution elsewhere, what you mentioned resets the file iconcache.db located at [dive letter]\Users\[your user name]\AppData\local. Which, ironically, is the same as deleting it.

• 3 weeks later...

I still need help, none of the techniques worked so far. This is beyond me. I'm trying to not sound rude.

I have tried another technique.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker registry hack and folder options settings in different orders.

catzilla4, I do not experience the loss of transparency in icons.

Which icons are you referring to?

I am trying Ultimate Windows Tweaker right now.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

There are a lot of settings in Ultimate Windows Tweaker that look very dangerous to me and could get someone in trouble very easy if they do not know what they are doing.

Hasn't effected my icons though nor has CCleaner.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Have you just as a process of elimination looked and tested these settings?

Thumbnail cache (for vista only)

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/ccleaner...-explorer-files

Windows size/location

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/ccleaner...d-windows-files

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

catzilla4, I do not experience the loss of transparency in icons.

Which icons are you referring to?

I am trying Ultimate Windows Tweaker right now.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker did nothing to my icons, the loss of transparency happened after a ccleaner scan. The icons affected are all the program ones, (this is most noticeable on the desktop).

Hazelnut, what are you suggest I should do?

• Moderators

You said you can select "always use icons and never thumbnails" in the folder options menu and return to normal.

Do that and then if you have those settings ticked in ccleaner, untick them and then try a clean.

Worth trying anyway.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Hazelnut, unfortunately your idea did not work. Do you think I should post this problem elsewhere (on more general purpose sites)? It could have possibly just been a coincidence.

It may be worth posting on a vista specific forum in case it is a vista 'thing'

Let us know if you find anything which helps you.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com