How to force CHKDSK fix index on NTFS drive?

trodas

At first I made the mistake using Partition Magic v8.00 to setup a drive (2G FAT32 for OS, 184G NTFS for data). PM v8.00 is faulty and screw up the drive, mainly the NTFS partition. Usually the results are not as dramatic as I experience (mostly only windows is slow in powering off), however on VIA chipset, as this old machine use, it is hell. New files are corrupted and gone missing after reboot, etc. Bad.

(results of using PM 8.00 on VIA chipsets from Symatec page are not exaggerated at all)

In PM v8.02 or v8.05 it should be fixed, however even the v8.02 is not going to allow me to fix ANY error. It finding twice

Error 1611 bad system file name

...and about hundred times...

Error 1527 bad update sequence number

...and button FIX is still grayed out.

So I tried a workaround - used the recommended Acronis Partition Expert v8 and I downsized the D drive a bit and then get it back to former status and quess what - most of the errors and problems are gone now! No more bit table troubles with MFT, but the new file corruption and files gone missing behaviour sadly continue...

So the first thing one do is to run chkdsk, right? So I run it with parameters /x /f and it always says "Fixing error in index $I30 file 5. Checking of index finished." - that it should be translated to english... However when I run it imediatelly again, it report the very same thing!

So the error is NOT fixed.

So I get the idea that I just find the file no. 5 using MFT table and kill it. Using DiskEdit utility (from Win2k SP4 CD by M$ itself, grab it there: http://rapidshare.com/files/189278835/DiskEdit.zip ) I opened the NTFS D drive and - sadly instead of the path and file I saw only couple of empty boxes... I can check other files fine, so, what now? It is a system file or hidden something then...?

I tried threat that as it is a deleted file fragment or something like that. I tried the Recuva utility from Sysinternals, because it can safely erase the deleted files, based on the MFT infos... If you did not know, well, then MFT store and keep information about every files you ever had on your HDD, so... (MFT on my drive have 57MB currently) Recuva found like 16k of deleted files, so I check them all and say - delete them right away!

But things went wrong, as some of the files are "resident" in the MFT table, so, they are not deleted. Also Recuva cannot delete the infos MFT keep about files long time gone from HDD. So I tried the recovering utility Restoration v3.2.13, because it know not only erase files, but also erase the infos about them in MFT! Then in Recuva you see only 16k of empty lost file infos, hehe.

But that did not help me either.

Then I tried Winhex v15.1, witch offer fantastic things, and among others - erasing the unnecessary MFT infos. However it again only erase the missing files infos, not remove them from MFT - it probably did not know how to rebuild the MFT then... So, no improve in the chkdsk error and HDD behaviour done...

Hence - anyone have any ideas how to fix this index problem? Chkdsk /x /d /r D: run way too long and at the end, no change at all.

Also I tried chkdsk from the Windows repair console, however no difference. It says that he find something, but then again - it did not fix it. And only report that find and fixed errors the first time I run it. Each next run it make there pauses (hence 3 errors, I presume) but not report them anymore!

Much less to fix them...

So when I get back in win, it way agaion like that:

Program CHKDSK ověřuje soubory (f?ze 1 z 3)...

Ověřen? souboru dokončeno.

Program CHKDSK ověřuje rejstř?ky (f?ze 2 z 3)...

Prob?h? oprava chyby v rejstř?ku $I30 souboru 5.

Ověřen? rejstř?ku dokončeno.

Program CHKDSK ověřuje popisovače zabezpečen? (f?ze 3 z 3)...

Ověřen? popisovače zabezpečen? bylo dokončeno.

193253884 kB m?sta na disku celkem.

190638064 kB v 37513 souborech u?ivatele.

14644 kB v 1583 rejstř?c?ch.

0 kB v chybn?ch sektorech.

78740 kB pou??v? syst?m.

16384 kB zab?r? soubor s protokolem.

2522436 kB na disku je voln?ch.

4096 bajtů v ka?d? alokačn? jednotce

48313471 alokačn?ch jednotek na disku celkem.

630609 voln?ch alokačn?ch jednotek

So, anyone get any idea about chkdsk replacement that works? Or thanks to PM, I have to backup my entire drive on DVDs and format it and then copy all the data back or what?!

It is VERY annoying to lose data in new files and I of course run diagnostic tests on the drive and then SpinRite v6 and the drive is perfectly okay. A not so old 200G Seagate PATA one :)

PartitionMagic8errors.jpg

PM reporting WAY less errors after the trick I made with Acronis Partition Expert, but still... they are there. Help?

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway  :)my config my caps

• Moderators

To clean up old indexes with ChkDsk you'd use this, only works on NTFS partitions though, and don't even have to reboot for it to work either:

chkdsk /v c:

Replace c: with the actual drive letter.

I do this occasionally to remove random index errors reported by ChkDsk.

Edit:

Most of the ChkDsk "index errors" I've noticed reside in the Windows\Prefetch folder. If I constantly get a reference pointing to there I delete all the .PF files in there, then reboot allowing ChkDsk to run on startup.