no option to log in

beatlebryce

I have XP pro. I installed a driver for my usb bluetooth device so i could update it. it asked me restart, i clicked no since i wasn't done working, then clicked restart later. i come back and it hadn't restarted. i click shut down, the little shut down menu closes, but it just stays going. i try to shut down from task manager and it's the same thing. i try to log off, switch user, everything, and nothing works. so i hold the power button and turn it off. when i restart, it goes normal then when it comes to the welcome screen, my icon and username aren't there. it's blank, just the background with no users. there isn't even an option to shut down or anything. i restarted in safe mode, and it was the same thing. if i try to hit enter or something, my system speaker beeps. i need this to work fast.

• Moderators

So you cannot start windows normally to uninstall the driver, and you cannot get into windows in safe mode either?

When you say safe mode is blank, what happens if you press enter?

I don't suppose you have a live cd you could try?

Other alternative may have to be a repair install from your windows cd.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

That's not quite what I'm looking for, a bit too drastic. One thing I noticed was the logonui.exe was running, something that never runs normally. I think that it's just my logonui.exe is messed up, so I just need to fix it. I found a program that will fix it, but I don't know how to do it in this situation.

• Moderators

It could possibly be the Windows registry that got messed up. If you use ERUNT regularly and have made a recent backup using a BartPE bootdisk then restoring the ERUNT backup "may work" but don't quote me on that as I've never actually used that approach myself - just and idea.

Edit:

Or this, which I have used and thwarted off a format+reinstall of everything:

restoring the registry with windows recovery console

but, after using that you must use an ERUNT backup or Restore Point to recover the actual registry!

How can I backup my stuff? I can't access My Documents from this OS, i guess it denies access for security/privacy. Also, how can I uninstall the driver that might have caused this problem from across OS? I'm on a different partition, so the driver isn't installed on this one. I need to get rid of that driver before I do anything else.

I've been going in on safe mode admin account and trying to undo security and allow me to access My Documents from my account. I think it's being hard to do because it's a different OS i'm using (XP home trying to access XP pro). i did some security stuff and can access the folder, but now the contents themselves are al "access denied". how do i get around this? Another security setting? Also, i should've mentioned I use Vistamizer, so this is either the skin got messed up from the install, or that my logonui.exe is messed up. What now?