Foxit Reader stopping the ad's

Andavari

• Moderators

We all thought the ability to stop Foxit Reader from displaying the small ad's at the upper-right was gone in new versions, right? Wrong!!!

A nice surprise:

I would disable them when opening a new PDF document, then out of nowhere they just stopped showing up altogether so that ability still exists as reported some time ago by DennisD.

I wasn't even keeping count of how many times I've read a PDF and disabled them from within Foxit Reader using "View->Advertisement", however they're at least gone now and I haven't really looked at that many PDF's.

• Moderators

I was still using an old version until I read your post, which prompted me to download the latest version via FileHippo.

Foxit Reader 3.0.1301:

After installing, I prepared for a session of open and closing, but to my surprise, I opened the program once, deselected "View Advertisement", and upon reopening, it was gone.

This was too easy so I thought I'd check out the Programs Files folder for any info. There was the usual ini file, and a "Readme.txt" file which showed an interesting entry:

What's New in Foxit Reader 3.0 Build 1301

================================================================================

======================================

Bug fixes:

Fixes a dead loop error in Foxit Reader Build 1222 when printing pages or a range of pages by entering 1, 3, 7-10 or whatever in the Pages text box within the Print dialog box.

What's New in Foxit Reader 3.0 Build 1222

================================================================================

======================================

The bugs fixed in this release include:

1. The annotations added by the typewriter tool will be rotated along with the page.

2. Pop up "Mozilla Firefox is not installed" when users failed to install Firefox plug-in.

3. May take a long time to open a file in Windows Vista Home version.

4. This updated version allows users to delete the advertisements.

5. The Auto-Rotate feature may be unavailable when printing with Snapshot tool.

6. Go back to the default settings of the printer properties when users reopen the PDF files.

7. This updated version will choose to print documents in actual size mode or fit to paper mode based on the default settings in the print dialog box with Command lines.

8. Page numbers are printed in a disorderly way when printing multiple copies in double-side mode.

9.The slow launch speed when running Foxit Reader for the first time after the system startup.

I assume that means the banner ads. So nice one Andavari, I would never have installed this if you hadn't posted about it.

Anyone who doesn't have this version beware of the "Toolbar" install entry. You do get the option to opt out of this by leaving the toolbar "I agree to...." licence checkbox clear on the last page before installing.

• Moderators
No wonder I didn't know about it via their readme.txt file since I downloaded the zip version which only includes the exe. I made my own installer without any toolbar included. :rolleyes:

The version I was using was a simple exe, Version 2.3.2923, so with missing a few version updates, I can see a big difference in this latest one.

Pound for pound, this is probably the best PDF reader out there, and I've always been a firm Adobe "Lite" fan.

I gave up on Foxit today. I downloaded the newest version, unchecked the toolbar stuff, installed, and it installed the toolbar. So RevoUninstaller deleted all things Foxit, and the horse it rode in on.

The toolbar stuff did not install for me.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user