IE Being Accessed?

writeaway

My backup program runs automatically in the background. Once a week it is set to backup C:\Documents and Settings.

Every time it runs I get a number of error messages that say:

Cannot copy file - and it names the file - the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

The files it lists are:

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Sttings\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\History Explorer\DB\HistoryExplorer.db

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\index.dat

And a load of AVG files.

I don't want to backup any of the files listed. However, I don't understand what process would be accessing them. I understand about the AVG files, but the others look like Internet Explorer files to me. IE is not open. I only use it for patch Tuesday. I am not connected to the internet. There is surely a perfectly logical explanation but I would sure like to know what it is.

HP Pavilion - Pentium® 4CPU

160GB HDD 512 MB RAM

Windows XP SP2 Home

Windows keeps them open all the time.

Have you ever noticed CCleaner log after a run with "Delete Index.dat files" selected?

You will see them "Marked for deletion" at next reboot.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Windows keeps them open all the time.

Have you ever noticed CCleaner log after a run with "Delete Index.dat files" selected?

You will see them "Marked for deletion" at next reboot.

Hey, thanks YoKenny. Mystery solved. I will sleep much better - at nap time :)

Whatever backup program you're using you need to exclude those locations. It would also be wise to exclude any Temp folders since archiving the junk unpacked into them isn't needed.

Thanks. I'm working on that. Unfortunately it isn't as easy as it first seemed. I was hoping the backup would eventually embrace drag and drop but there have been no updates/upgrades for all the time I've had it - over a year. I can't complain, the program (SecondCopy) works fine, it's just a little cumbersome and I can't afford to rush out and purchase another one.