CCleaner with win 7 problem

housewife

why did you run CCleaner in an incompatible OS???

@warmth

Betatesting a life!

Current: Nokia Lumia 920 [WP8], HTC 7 Surround T8788 [WP7.8] & Vodafone 858 Smart [Android SmartLucky2.3] | Previous: Nokia Lumia 820, 720, 800, E7-00, X7-00, N8-00, N97, N96, etc.

Official Nokia Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011) | NokiaNews.eu & LoveMyNokia.com writer

I remember the good old days, when DOS did what I told it to do.

Now we have much faster computers,

and Windows that spends far more time doing what it wants instead of what I told it.

I like Windows 7 because of the amusement,

within one day of installation it seems to need urgent cleaning ! !

Oldtimer

Alan

Umm, it's all part of beta-testing ... testing application compatibility is a normal part of testing a beta OS.

To the OP - try looking through this thread http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Lost-Language-Bar-t7293.html There maybe an easy fix there for this old problem.

why are you gonna beta test a sofware that is NOT A BETA in a OS that is known as unsupported!!! that is just take the risk and there you have some of the consequences...

maybe this is more like a learning for the piriform dev team that they should do a checking before installing the software to know if the OS is compatible or not to avoid things like this... I already know that this kind of things aren't so frecuent but happens :P

@warmth

Betatesting a life!

Current: Nokia Lumia 920 [WP8], HTC 7 Surround T8788 [WP7.8] & Vodafone 858 Smart [Android SmartLucky2.3] | Previous: Nokia Lumia 820, 720, 800, E7-00, X7-00, N8-00, N97, N96, etc.

Official Nokia Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011) | NokiaNews.eu & LoveMyNokia.com writer

From the first reply this was heading way OT ... apologies to the OP.

why are you gonna beta test a sofware that is NOT A BETA in a OS that is known as unsupported!!! that is just take the risk and there you have some of the consequences...

maybe this is more like a learning for the piriform dev team that they should do a checking before installing the software to know if the OS is compatible or not to avoid things like this... I already know that this kind of things aren't so frecuent but happens :P

It's the OS that is beta, ok? To test application compatibility in a beta OS, you need to install and test the programs that you normally use. If they work or they can be tweaked to work, then fine. If they won't install or run, then the OS and App developers have a chance to work to get things working smoothly.

Until the software has been tested on the OS, you don't know if it's incompatible or not.

If you check the link I posted earlier, you'll see that this problem has been happening since before Vista was released and may not be related to CCleaner.

Thanks you guys a lot.

Well, I know it is only a beta and fortunately I always back-up my files when I install new stuff.

I had re-installed my windows and never run CCleaner again.

Well, I suppose there should have lots of people having the same problem.

I am not blaming CCleaner, I have already taken my own risk. I just want to find the solution.

If everyone is only allowed to install programmes that claim to support Windows 7, I cannot imagine who will still use it. (You can't even use Windows live, Office..., well same as live in a house without an article of funiture)

I did report this issue to Microsoft too.

I really hope that I can use the CCleaner again. I MISS YOU SO MUCH...

• Moderators
Until the software has been tested on the OS, you don't know if it's incompatible or not.

And Microsoft seriously needs software developers to test the living you know what out of it before it's finalized and shrink wrapped on store shelves, less to do afterwards and Vista is a good reminder.

I think that CC is fully compatible with W7 from the build 2.14.750.

WHAT?S NEW IN CCleaner 2.14.750

- Added support for Windows 7.<-----------------------------------!!!

- Improved Google Chrome support (build 0.4).

- Opera cookie management added.

- Improved Recycle Bin cleaning.

- Added a warning when cleaning Google Chrome and it?s running.

- Search Autocomplete cleaning now XP only.

- Improve file association Registry Cleaning.

- Fixed bug with context menus and excessive CPU usage.

- Fixed GUI colors on high contrast themes.

- Minor GUI bugs fixed.

- Minor performance improvements.

Correct me if I'm wrong... :rolleyes:

That's an older version of CC released at the beginning of Dec '08 and that would've been an older beta of Windows 7 - so who knows for sure.

You may be right...But I think that it's not a good idea to release a new CC build compatible with a pre-beta OS in Dec 2008. One month before the official release of Beta 1.

ciao.

As a general principle, I disagree.

Why should CCleaner ignore Windows 7 one month before Beta 1 ?

Why not wait until it is completely out of Beta and finally released ?

Because CCleaner already made the attempt, bold spirits have already tried it and reported problems,

so CCleaner can now be improved to better cope with Windows 7 before the general public lose everything.

On behalf of the general public, I thank Housewife for "boldly going where no man has been before",

and am pleased that she had the skills and wisdom to be prepared for disaster.

On a personal note, I prefer to work on a "stable" system,

and think of Vista as not having left BETA - but that is another rant ! !

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

CC does indeed work slower with Win 7 - for some reason, there's a 'cleaning browser history' box which pops up during the cleaning, and often it is still "cleaning" after the actual program has finished its work - the other program I use, Tracks Eraser Pro, has no probs.

Windows 7 - Office 2010 - Internet Explorer 9

All better than the versions preceding them :D