CCleaner and McAfee

Keithuk

Hi all.

I've had a newer computer at work and as they won't install CC anymore I take my own zip to work. Now on my old computer I noticed that McAfee had stopped loading on startup. I reported this to the IT techs and they said I need a new computer. Well I've been asking for a newer computer for 4 years and they finally got their finger out. My old one was a WinXP 2002 SP2, Pentium II 233Mhz with 339MB Ram and a 10GB HDD. I now have a WinXP 2002 SP2, Pentium 4 1.70Ghz with 2GB Ram and a 62GB HDD.

Now I ran CC to do a clean and things seemed ok. The next day I started up I get no McAfee screen on startup. I check Program Files and there are no files in McAfee folder. Strange I know it showed the day before because I've seen it. I reported this problem to the IT techs plus this computer has a CD Writer so I needed Nero installing. They came down and installed Nero and McAfee again. Now he didn't give me any grief over McAfee was there what had I done. Now its strange McAfee disappeared of my old computer and now it disappeared on my new one and I haven't tried a Registry clean yet, in fact I don't think I'll bother. I've done a scan of what problems are comming up loads but I left it there.

I don't know if there is any connection between CC and McAfee with this problem. I know CC is just a crap cleaner and it shouldn't remove files unless you tell it too. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Of course our versions of McAfee may not be the same and there could be some other differences.

Hi Jim.

We use McAfee 8.5i at work.

Is McAfee being installed to a program files location and not a temp one , or some other 'unusual' location?

Its being installed at the normal location Program Files Hazel. After the IT techs reinstalled it, it was back in there. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

My Vista machines have 8.5i and my XP machine has 8.0i, but none have ever had any problems with McAfee.

You said that it was after you restarted the computer that McAfee went missing, and before that everything seemed fine. I do not recall CCleaner being able to remove things after a restart as some program do so if CCleaner had erased the files that would have happened before the computer shut down, so it would not have seemed fine, as McAfee would not be there and could not have been running. The fact that the files were gone after the restart and, I assume, McAfee was running after you ran CCleaner, before the restart, makes me think it was something else.

What other programs did you run on the new PC that can delete things? What are the options you have selected for CCleaner? That might help figure out if CCleaner was involved.

The fact that the files were gone after the restart and, I assume, McAfee was running after you ran CCleaner, before the restart, makes me think it was something else.

What other programs did you run on the new PC that can delete things? What are the options you have selected for CCleaner? That might help figure out if CCleaner was involved.

Thanks for you suggestions Jim. McAfee was running well the M icon is always in the systray and the short-cuts were in Programs but the following day it disappeared on startup.

Its a works machine there we aren't allowed to install anything, you need admin rights. You need admin rights to go for a s**t. :huh:

As I said this disappearing McAfee started on my old computer last November. Now that wasn't the current version that was 2 versions back, though I have run the lastest version on there.

Now there could be something strange with the newer computer becasue every morning since Tuesday I start the computer when I get to work.

Wednesday morning is wouldn't startup, something about a corrupt file in WinNT\System32\Config. Insert CD and do a 'r' restore/repair. I rang the IT techs with the problem. I tried it later and it started up ok. How come if there was a corrupt file in Config it wouldn't startup, but it did later?

Thursday morning wouldn't startup again. Message said couldn't find something so do a Ctrl+ALT+DEL. I did this 5 times and I kept getting the same message. IT techs informed and I left the screen as it was so the techs could see the message. I did a Ctrl+ALT+DEL an hour later because no IT techs come down and it started up as normal.

This morning it wouldn't startup again because of the same fault as Wednesdays. I did a Ctrl+ALT+DEL 3 times and it eventually started up.

I'm not going to worry about McAfee if it stops working no body else is. It should run a bit faster if the virus checker isn't running all the time. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I thought I would try a clean before I shut the computer down for the weekend. I did a clean and a restart and McAfee still shows at the moment. So it must be a glitch in our computer systems. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best