Unused File Extensions

ai4fu

OK,

1. before the old timers start rolling their eyes, I have searched, and read, the entries on this subject, at least as many as I could. None of them addressed this issue;
  2. this is not really a problem with CCleaner, but, I believe, a problem that CCleaner is locating with certain software, hence I don't expect an answer, just looking for information and ideas.

OK, on running CCleaner Registry Integrity test, I get 2 specific Unused File Extensions entries. The problem is, the files are created by current, valid, and installed commercial software. The programs have not been uninstalled, only occasionally, updated. One of them is a database-type backup file created by one program, but not directly opened by said program. The other one is very similar.

I suspect that the original programmer is to blame for the issue, some flag that should have been set, some registry key that should have been created to register the file type, something... Regardless, the problem remains. I can delete the keys, but once I reboot the problem returns upon subsequent CCleaner scans.

Thanks in advance for any insight or information.

• Moderators

I'm not quite sure what you're aiming for. Do you want CC to show a clean registry page (nothing to fix)? This can be done (I believe - I don't actually do this) by adding the registry entry to the Exclude section in CC, but you may think that this is fixing the symptom not the cause.

I doubt whether CC will ever manage every possible software quirk that's thrown at it, there's just too much stuff around to do that.

I'm not quite sure what you're aiming for. Do you want CC to show a clean registry page (nothing to fix)?

Not at all, I was hoping that someone might have some insight on how to manually edit the registry so that these files would have normal entries and would not show up as unused. I tried modifying their entries to match similar ones but was unsuccessful (yes I make backups before I play). Usually if you ask and wait someone either knows the answer or knows another place you should ask the question. This forum is just where I started out.

I doubt whether CC will ever manage every possible software quirk that's thrown at it, there's just too much stuff around to do that.

I am equally doubtful. Such a program would be 100X the size of CCleaner and would be horribly inefficient (IMHO).

Thanks.

I have many POSSIBLE answers, I just do not have the time to waste.

If you would post EXACTLY what you are talking about then I, and many others, would willingly offer any RELEVANT answers.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators
This can be done (I believe - I don't actually do this) by adding the registry entry to the Exclude section in CC, but you may think that this is fixing the symptom not the cause.

This will be faster and safer than trying to mod the registry, and will have the same effect.

CCleaner shows most of my programs' file extensions as "Unused File Extensions". They are definitely NOT unused - in fact they are used daily - and I have never understood this glitch either. I strongly suggest that you do NOT clean them or even touch them. I did that ONE time. Ever since, if I try opening one of these application's files from Explorer, I get the "Windows doesn't know what program . . . " message.

Maybe, that won't happen to you but why risk it? Yours is not the first post on this topic. I've never seen an adequate answer.

• 2 weeks later...
CCleaner shows most of my programs' file extensions as "Unused File Extensions". They are definitely NOT unused - in fact they are used daily - and I have never understood this glitch either. I strongly suggest that you do NOT clean them or even touch them. I did that ONE time. Ever since, if I try opening one of these application's files from Explorer, I get the "Windows doesn't know what program . . . " message.

Maybe, that won't happen to you but why risk it? Yours is not the first post on this topic. I've never seen an adequate answer.

I wish I would have read this first. This answer the question I had in mind. I noticed after those files were deleted some of the programs do not function correctly. This would be a good one to give people a heads up on. Now I have to reinstall the registry that was deleted and make sure that I do not delete those.