CC won't run "Cleaner" on my Win98SE machine, but

Aage

I found the latest ccleaner version did not operate correctly on a win98se PC of mine:

Any version newer than v2.14.768 does not work on Win98se: the symptoms are " 0 items are deleted " (similar to what others have stated).

Well as I've said before I've used every version of CC and they all work as they should do. If your saying that 0 items are deleted which items are you talking about. Everything in Windows\Temp folder, Temporary Internet files, Cookies etc? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

.... I updated to the latest v2.16, and the "Clean" part of the program stopped finding anything to remove. Unfortunately I did not keep the v2.14 installer, but I have still got v2.07. ... something has changed going from v2.14 to v2.16, making the new version incompatible with my Win98SE installations.

Ah yes; I recently downloaded what I thought was an "upgrade" to my CC V2.14.750 from filehippo.com; ie. V.2.17, then I thought to check the "technical" info on the download site - sure enough; it's made for XP on up - our old W-98SE is no longer supported. :(

Since my old junker "down cellar" back up box won't handle anything richer than 98 I'm stuck with it - unless I want to try LINUX, which I'm tempted to do although I get the impression that one has to be a bit of a geek / techie to handle that OS and that it's not quite as intuitive as Windows. :blink:

Are any of you familiar with it?

It seems that we have a version of CC for Linux, too - which is nice to know if I do go that route.

Oh; by the way; over on filehippo.com they list a whole bunch of earlier versions, so you could probably download your V2.14.750 (which I THINK might be the last W-98 compatible version) over there. Some other pretty cool freeware on that site as well, FYI - just remember to check the tech data to see if your OS supports it.

As Hazel has pointed out you can download any version you want too from CCleaner 1.16.082 to CCleaner 2.16.830 of FileHippo. ....

I just went back there and discovered that V.2.16.830 claims that it supports Windows "All Versions" - so I downloaded that and will give it a try!

What's the last version of "Defraggler" that will work on W98?

I just went back there and discovered that V.2.16.830 claims that it supports Windows "All Versions" - so I downloaded that and will give it a try!

What's the last version of "Defraggler" that will work on W98?

Yes all versions of CC and Recuva run on all versions of Windows. Defraggler has never run on a Win9x/ME system its a pity and users have asked for it. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 2 weeks later...

This is from my post...

"An apparent application that I "loaded" / "unloaded" changed the MSIMG32.DLL ver. 5.00.1693.1 to ver. 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205). When I reinstalled ver 5.00.1693.1, CCleaner once again worked perfectly. There is a lot more detail as to the "how" I discovered this, but with the solution the "how" becomes irrelevant."

It worked for me on my Win98SE machine. (NOTE: I use CC ver 2.15.815)

Welcome to Piriform rr1165.

This is from my post...

"An apparent application that I "loaded" / "unloaded" changed the MSIMG32.DLL ver. 5.00.1693.1 to ver. 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205). When I reinstalled ver 5.00.1693.1, CCleaner once again worked perfectly. There is a lot more detail as to the "how" I discovered this, but with the solution the "how" becomes irrelevant."

It worked for me on my Win98SE machine. (NOTE: I use CC ver 2.15.815)

Well this topic goes back a long way, what is you point exactly? Haven't you tried the newest version? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform rr1165.

Well this topic goes back a long way, what is you point exactly? Haven't you tried the newest version? ;)

The point is simple: CC stopped working after years of successful use (see my post) and when I changed this "one" DLL it returned to working successfully. Since I did not want to become one of the legions of the "blind leading the blind" I indicated it worked for me.

New version? Why? 2.15 works. (OK! OK! I have way too much time on my hands - I downloaded 2.17 to my Win98SE machine and it works fine) On my XP Pro machine...the newest version is installed.

The point is simple: CC stopped working after years of successful use (see my post) and when I changed this "one" DLL it returned to working successfully. Since I did not want to become one of the legions of the "blind leading the blind" I indicated it worked for me.

Well the dll the you mension MSIMG32.DLL is a standard dll installed when Win98SE is installed. It has nothing to do with CC.

New version? Why? 2.15 works. (OK! OK! I have way too much time on my hands - I downloaded 2.17 to my Win98SE machine and it works fine) On my XP Pro machine...the newest version is installed.

So why did you say you were using 2.15? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Well the dll the you mension MSIMG32.DLL is a standard dll installed when Win98SE is installed. It has nothing to do with CC.

I sure hope you're not a CC Tech Support person - The details of how I found this issue came directly from an error message created by CC!!!! And, as I stated previously - it worked for ME!

So why did you say you were using 2.15? ;)

I was using it! BUT, I am almost always ready to try something - like loading 2.17 to see if it would work, and it did on my Win98SE OS machine.

GREAT NEWS!

First, allow me to thank all of those who offered help for me, especially PDKEM, whose suggestion that version 2.14.763 ran fine on his Win98SE machine. PDKEM, your remark was spot on the money!

I now have CCLEANER working perfectly on my PIII550/Win98SE machine! :D

I was also finally able to expand memory to the max for my motherboard, 512meg, and WHAT a difference in performance! From stumbling along with frequent crashes, the machine now gallops at quite a satisfactory speed and is very stable. I was able to return the 2x 1gig pieces (that didn't work) and got 2x 256meg sticks from the same vendor very quickly, and they just popped in, working right away.

Since it appears that some of you have had trouble locating suitable PC100/PC133 memory, please allow me to suggest that you try vendor pcesupply on ebay. His prices were excellent (surprisingly so), and the service was impeccable, right down to mailing them as First Class Mail, thus avoiding high shipping costs.

I would add that I have no relationship with him other than as a very satisfied client. When I told him that the original sticks that I purchased did not work, he merely asked the make and model of my motherboard then sent me the correct memory (upon my return of the first ones, of course).

Not sure if I am missing anything by using the old version of CCleaner, but it immediately ran and found the usual piles junk to clean out. I saved the cookies I wanted, and everything was perfect, just as it is on my Vista and XP machines with the latest version.

Again, thanks to you all very much for your help and patience!

Best regards to all,

Aage Johansen

Aurora, Ontario

Thank you, Keith and Hazel.

By experimenting with the various version on FileHippo, I now know that the last version to work on my Win98SE box is 2.14.763. Something must have changed after this.

I honestly don't know why only v2.14.763 will only work correctly on both of your Win98SE machines, the lastest does what it says on the tin.

First, allow me to thank all of those who offered help for me, especially PDKEM, whose suggestion that version 2.14.763 ran fine on his Win98SE machine. PDKEM, your remark was spot on the money!

I now have CCLEANER working perfectly on my PIII550/Win98SE machine! :D

Since it appears that some of you have had trouble locating suitable PC100/PC133 memory, please allow me to suggest that you try vendor pcesupply on ebay.

Again, thanks to you all very much for your help and patience!

Long time no speak Aage, where have you been for 2 months? I got my 512Mb of eBay I could have told you that if you would have asked. I could have also told you that anything more than 650Mb won't work on Win98SE unless you do a bit of weaking. I actually did a search on there this week for PC100 and there are loads of vendors at reasonable prices. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I honestly don't know why only v2.14.763 will only work correctly on both of your Win98SE machines, the lastest does what it says on the tin.

Neither do I, but I don't care a toss: it works now!

Long time no speak Aage, where have you been for 2 months? I got my 512Mb of eBay I could have told you that if you would have asked. I could have also told you that anything more than 650MB won't work on Win98SE unless you do a bit of weaking. I actually did a search on there this week for PC100 and there are loads of vendors at reasonable prices. ;)

Well, just got back from nearly a month in Florida (see my tan? :D) And it took a bit of back and forth to get the memory issue sorted with my vendor, due to my ordering the wrong item. Thankfully, he was patient and very clear in email, so I am quite pleased. 2x 512meg for $17.95 free delivery is incredible, isn't it?

But I'll check with you first next time, Keith. Thanks for looking out for me. ;)

Win98SE_CCLeaner_Processes.doc

This "might" help others who have had an issue running CC on Win98SE OS machines.

"An apparent application that I "loaded" / "unloaded" changed the MSIMG32.DLL ver. 5.00.1693.1 to ver. 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205). When I reinstalled ver 5.00.1693.1, CCleaner once again worked perfectly." I was running 2.15 and have since upgraded to 2.17. For ME everything works fine.

This time I have included an attachment that shows all the processes running on my machine that relate to CC - it might help another user who is having the same or similar issue. (NOTE: www.sysinternals.com has been bought by Microsoft and you'll be redirected to there site - I don't know if the Process Explorer upgrade will run on a Win98SE OS machine. My version is 10.21)

CC is a great application.

Win98SE_CCLeaner_Processes.doc

Thanks for the info rr1165.

I don't know where you downloaded your v10.21 when Microsoft only offer Process Monitor v2.04. And a web search doesn't show anything. ;)

Keithuk, can you spell Process E X P L O R E R?

Also, note the existence of MSIMG32.DLL, on my machine, for CC to run under Win98SE. Remember that discussion....

MikeW, I looked into this further - the new version of Process Explorer, offered by Microsoft, does not include Win98SE in the system requirements - BUT - there appear to be sites on the INTERNET that provide the version I have, 10.21, for download. FileHippo is one of them: http://www.filehippo.com/download_process_explorer/

No guarantees...

MikeW, I looked into this further - the new version of Process Explorer, offered by Microsoft, does not include Win98SE in the system requirements - BUT - there appear to be sites on the INTERNET that provide the version I have, 10.21, for download. FileHippo is one of them: http://www.filehippo.com/download_process_explorer/

No guarantees...

Ok I downloaded Process Explorer 11.33 because it says Windows (All Versions) but it doesn't work, no errors but nothing happens. I downloaded Process Explorer 10.21 and that does work. I noticed that I have avgamsvr.exe running in the background, it doesn't show in Task Manager. I don't have AVG running all the time whats he point. Thats how come it found a virus in the Temporary Internet Files 6 moths ago and it deleted it. I've often wondered how it could do that.

Thats a great tip rr1165 thanks for showing. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Like v2.15 to v2.17, v2.18 does not run correctly on Win98se machine. The main function of CCleaner, the "Cleaner", no longer works. It neither find nor delete more than 0 byte, just because it does no analyse of the system.

Can somebody explain us at least what have changed beetwen v2.14 and v2.15 ?

We are here on the official forum for CCleaner, it can't be too difficult to reply to such a question.

Thank you !

As I've said before Jean 2.17 used to lock the computer when I did a Analyse. I installed 2.18 the other day and did an Analyse and it didn't lockup. I've just done an Analyse and its locked up again. I'm not really bother about that because I never use Analysis. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with CCleaner.

We haven't been able to reproduce this issue in house. All versions return the same results and function properly.

Can someone having the problem post a saved list of files that are found by v2.14?

Simple steps:

1 - Run analyze,

2 - Right click on the results pane,

3 - Select "Save to text file",

4 - Post the file to this thread or email it to me directly.

We appreciate your help!

Thanks

So, as I put in the title, my old Win98SE machine (a Pentium III 500 with 128 memory) won't run the "Clean" part of CC. I click on "analyze" and it immediately says "0" to remove. :(

However, I ran the "Registry" part of it, and it took a TON of old crap off. :blink:

I know I have old cookies and whatnot, because if I go into Options and click "Cookies", it find a whole pile of them, but they don't appear in the "Clean" part. :unsure:

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aage

The files are probably 'locked' which means they are in use. One app can change a file at a time

The computer is mightier than the sword

link1.gif link1.gif

Click here for cool stuff

Can someone having the problem post a saved list of files that are found by v2.14?

No problem if it didn't lock my system so nothing responds so I have to press reset to restart. I haven't tried the /debug switch I don't know it that will work. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I tried it with the /debug switch and it analysed without crashing. I thought that was strange so I tried it again. This time it analysed a lot faster and still didn't crash. I tried it as normal and it still didn't crash, strange.

I've just seen a new post Analyze Starts at 39% - Hangs I don't know if its related. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 3 weeks later...
As I've said before Jean 2.17 used to lock the computer when I did a Analyse. I installed 2.18 the other day and did an Analyse and it didn't lockup. I've just done an Analyse and its locked up again. I'm not really bother about that because I never use Analysis. ;)

Well the CCleaner 2.19.900 locks up when I Analyse just the same as the last version. :(

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best