Firefox 3.05 high on resorces

Eli

Today I "upgraded" from FF 2.20 to FF 3.5 and guess what ? I`m on 150MB RAM, with one tab in use!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: with no "special demands from browser!!!!" (about 70-80 MB difference).

Did any of you experienced such an "elevating" experience?

Thanks

Eli

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

If you have allot of plugins that can be a cause.

Here's a very helpful search:

Tips To Reduce Firefox Memory and Cache Usage

Thanks for the link Andavary.

Eli

If you have allot of plugins that can be a cause.

Here's a very helpful search:

Tips To Reduce Firefox Memory and Cache Usage

Hi Andavari

I applied several tips from your link and it works like a charm.

I also got rid of some unused/non practical + suspected memory leak addons.

I`m down to about 50-80MB RAM, with 2-4 tabs opened and 17 ad dons.

Thank you again ;)

Eli

i have FF and i do have many add ons in place. i cannot remove them because each one serves some kind of purpose in my life. i have #20 so far

80999699qp6.jpg
From my prespective, winvista club is a very good forum for all things windows related.
They have helped me and many others in the past. Excellent hints and advice!

BigSmile.png

4 to 5 minutes is way out there and there must be other issues where posting a Hijackthis log in the correct section of this forum may be advisable.

2 seconds normal and 3 seconds to open sandboxed here.

If you have confidence in your other security apps you could turn off FF's website checking security features which use a lot of resources and to be honest just doesn't seem to work?

A lot of people have something like a Site Advisor, their resident AV and FF's inbuilt all checking every link they open which would be slowing things down.

FF - tools- options - security tab and untick the top three then find and delete the urlclassifier3.sqlite and urlclassifier2.sqlite files.

They will be rebuilt if and when you turn those security features back on and up to you if you wanna do it.

Firefox 3 contacts Google at each startup to get an updated list of known phishing websites and updates the same in the urlclassifier3.sqlite file. Agreed this is what makes our browser safe and secure but why is it bloating up in size? Are the phishing sites on the web increasing as fast as the size of this folder?

Naah! Apparently, there?s a known bug in FF specific to this urlclassifier file which says that it has a lot of vacuum/blank space within and there ought to be a mechanism to automatically compress it effectively.Whatever might be the cause, its rapid size increase is somewhat disconcerting. Added to it is the fact that upon each startup, FF contacts the Google servers to get an updated list, which might be a drain on the CPU resources and in turn the notebook batteries (if you?re using one i.e.). There have been discussions about it over at the Mozillazine Forums in this thread and this thread and there seem to be a lot of people disconcerted by it.

urlclassifier3.sqlite woes on Firefox Article

2 seconds normal and 3 seconds to open sandboxed here.

Is that for real, Humpty? My FF2 takes about 4 seconds to load normal -- and about 14 seconds to load sandboxed. Guess something isn't quite right here either??

• Moderators
Is that for real, Humpty? My FF2 takes about 4 seconds to load normal -- and about 14 seconds to load sandboxed. Guess something isn't quite right here either??

Could be down to your processor too, the amount of FF add-ons you have installed, the antivirus you have installed could also slow down the startup as it scans everything FF is loading, etc., or that issue Humpty has listed about the ever growing files.

Too bad FF updates and it's "Doing some housekeeping" dialog doesn't deal with those bloated files, or at least something FF could do when exiting.

Yep, for real.

Xeon quad, 4 gig dominator ram, raptor drive in Returnil mode with no realtime AV/AS.

In fact FF seems nearly instant opening non-sandboxed and I only said 2 seconds to be half believable but definately around 3 seconds sandboxed. :huh:

I was really happy with FF2, but then I updated to FF3.05 and found it to be terribly slow. Now I mainly use Chrome. It is much faster and for my computing needs, it is okay. However, I am playing around with Opera and trying to learn more about it.

I think that it is a shame that Mozilla has destroyed the latest version of FF, but maybe sometime in the future they will correct it. I really love some of those add ons.

my firefox takes less then a second to open...pretty much instant....and i don't notice the difference from the 3 series from the 2 series.....

What are your system specs? Sounds like Humpty has somewhat of a muscle machine.

Just tested mine several times and I don't have a "muscle machine"

FF opens in 2 seconds. Sandboxed it takes 5 seconds.

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

• 4 weeks later...

I gave up on FF 3.05, and I have been using Chrome for the last month or so. I find that it is much faster than FF. However, it doesn't have any of the add ons that FF has.

I recently read someplace, maybe Lifehacker, that addons are coming to Chrome later this spring.

I have also used Opera, and I find it to be faster than FF as well.

I would suggest that you try Chrome and Opera and see what you think. Opera has a big learning curve, but may be worth the effort.

Good luck.