CCleaner cookies problem

ppv90

hey guys

i've been using CCleaner for a very long time with no problems whatsoever

i had to go away leaving my pc for a month - when i got back i ran a clean and it cleared the standard stuff

i always run a clean after i've just run one (don't know why) - but it's a good job i did - for some reason a whole load of cookies showed up - for sites that i've accessed

whenever i press clean it shows these list of cookies 'removed cookie: xyz etc'

i was running a firefox beta when this happened - i uninstalled and used firefox latest stable - same problem

i updated CCleaner to 2.15 (latest) - same problem, also completely removed CCleaner - then reinstalled - same problem

trying to find where cookies are stored so i can delete them manually but it isn't there

i don't know what's wrong - it basically keeps deleting the same cookies clean after clean and shows 0kb removed - i've also tried using firefox's cleaner to delete all temp files etc - but it still stays there

it's like they're embedded somewhere - and CCleaner is getting the cookie info incorrectly or something :S

any help? :D

many thanks!

PPV :)

Hello ppv90,

Welcome !!! :D

You will find that the latest versions of CCleaner are finding many old hidden places for "ccokies" on various versions of various browsers. The first thing to do is make sure that all the options are set for them on the Applications tab and then run CCleaner again and see if all those "stale cookies" are deleted. For some browsers your will have to a search for "cookies" to find those old cookie files and manually delete them.

Come back and let us know. :P

Good luck, :) davey

P.S. Check this out also. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=19778&hl=

Turn your Indexing Service back on for awhile and use the old Search Companion to find "cookies".

Don't be surprised to find old Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Chromium etc.

Check this thread for an idea. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=120674

Edited by davey

hey, thanks for the quick reply

only browser showing on applications is firefox - and everything is ticked for that

i searched cookies under vista search - it found a folder 'cookies' - that was hidden - it won't let me access it even though i'm an administrator

so i deleted it - now i'll close firefox to see if it works :D

nice to see CCleaner cleaning even deeper! :)

edit

mm another search for cookies shows up more files (sqlite journal?) - i'll check the txt files and remove those

and see what happens

it seems the sqlite is just a backup i have of a profile for firefox - but i've got rid of the txt cookie files

still the same problem :-/

Hi - just to tell you my favourite means of finding and deleting cookies is "WinPatrol" from BillP Studios. It does many other things well, too (I like the 'Delayed Start' whereby less-important apps can be started minutes later than the main ones)

mm there are quite a few programs that will get rid of cookies - CCleaner being one of them

i just need to find the root cause of where all these cookies info is being retrieved from - since CCleaner seems to be reading this info and showing it every time i click 'clean'.

i'm also getting logged out of certain forums - not sure if that's a CCleaner problem though

my cookies to keep are all correct

it just keeps showing 0bytes removed (followed by a very long list of cookies) every time i click clean

i'll try restart again - maybe it'll 'free' some files

any other ideas? - i might try another cleaner app - and see what happens

There is no "one magic location" for "cookies" anymore. Unfortunately each browser is different and sometimes the location is also changed in different versions of those browsers. You may even have to search those browsers forums to find out how to get rid of them.

Turn your Indexing Service back on for awhile and use the old Search Companion to find "cookies".

Don't be surprised to find old Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Chromium etc.

Check this thread for an idea. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=120674

Turn off the option at Cleaner > Applications tab > Multimedia > Adobe and/or Macromedia Flash Player.

This will prevent any "Flash Cookies" from being cleaned. These contain log-in,password info, etc related to many popular sites. See link for more details.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=124813

Best wishes, :) davey

I easily believe that STANDARD Firefox has no knowledge of a future BETA release.

Using STANDARD Firefox to purge BETA cookies has to be like spitting against the wind.

You might have better luck if you re-instal the BETA that gave you cookies,

and use that BETA to purge its own cookies - with luck it will know where they are.

Then you can revert back to standard.

Regards

Alan

that makes sense Alan - but i'm not sure if this is the problem - since even old versions of CCleaner before didn't show this problem

and i was using the beta then too

i've searched google chrome which i also used (only for like an hour)

it must be from firefox or the beta to be showing this many cookies

still installing the beta and clearing cookies etc with that sounds like a sensible idea

i'll try it

thanks for the replies

it's sorted now - i did as alan suggested - a little different though

installed the beta - then completely removed it

unfortunately it wiped out my bookmarks etc

i have an old backup that will be good enough

thanks for the help - CCleaner is removing nothing after 1 clean now :D

• 2 months later...
it's sorted now - i did as alan suggested - a little different though

installed the beta - then completely removed it

unfortunately it wiped out my bookmarks etc

i have an old backup that will be good enough

thanks for the help - CCleaner is removing nothing after 1 clean now :D

I've been having this problem for months now.

With Firefox and Ccleaner I used to just clear the cookies and it was done.

Now, I have what appears to be an ever increasing list of Cookies to be cleared but CCleaner doesn't clear them.

It finds them but does not wipe them.

Firefox does not even show them.

I'm using Firefox 3.0.7 and CCleaner 2.17.853 but this started several versions ago of each.

It seemed to start when there were problems of Bookmarks being wiped after one or other of these was updated over 6 months ago (can't remember which).

The Bookmarks issue got sorted but this persists.

Do I need to go back to a previous version of Firefox and, if so, which?