Adware.maxifiles pop up

byker794

Hi everyone

When I run CCleaner I get a pop up from my PC Tools anti virus when cleaning my Firefox cache. The threat name is Adware.maxifiles. Message says "Internet Security has blocked an application attempting to read from a file" I am using the latest version and always download from Piriform. Is this a false positive? I did not have a problem with my previous Bullguard security. I contacted PC Tools. They did not seem to recognise CCleaner and referred me back to Piriform. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

• Moderators

CCleaner is 100% clean.

I suspect you may have some adware infection in your Firefox cache that PC Tools AV is perhaps picking up, which you could verify by simply scanning your Windows User Profile with PC Tools AV. When CCleaner tries to remove it that may be when PC Tools AV is detecting something - that's if I'm understanding what you've wrote correctly.

You could also try to clean Firefox's cache using its own built-in tools "Tools->Clear Private Data" to see what happens, and if PC Tools AV warns you on that attempt. Then of course give CCleaner a try again.

If it's some malware in your Firefox cache I'd recommend a read of rridgely's Malware Prevention Guide.

Hi Again

I've tried your suggestion of scanning with PCT AV. I did a full scan of my computer and came back with no infections found. I also tried clearing the cache in Firefox's settings. When I did this no alerts popped up from PC Tools.

I am the administrator for this PC and there are 3 other account users too. I clean all user's temp files etc in turn and then mine. To do this I use the portable version of CCleaner from my external hard drive.

I noticed on another user I got the same pop up alerts I did on mine when cleaning again tonight. Looking at Log Report on PCT I found another alert known as Trojan.VB.BFP. ( I probably didn't notice this first time around)

I've also added CCleaner to my allowed apps on PCT firewall. Not sure what to do next ..... mmmmm

Thanks for your quick reply to my post.