Startup Programs - which one can be turned off?

Les B

I always read where if you have too many Startup programs running at the same time, it can slow down your performance. I am just afraid I will take out the wrong one. Would somebody be able to review what is on mine and make a recommendation of what I could disable without taking out something I need.

post-25560-1230138989_thumb.jpg

post-25560-1230138989_thumb.jpg

I always read where if you have too many Startup programs running at the same time, it can slow down your performance. I am just afraid I will take out the wrong one. Would somebody be able to review what is on mine and make a recommendation of what I could disable without taking out something I need.

Hi Les

From looking at your startup I can see alot of programs that are not needed at startup because they are not needed at all time and if you do need it just go to the program and launch it. However you should keep always on startup programs such as Windows Defender, Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewalls. As for the rest of the programs I can not give you a simple answer since it would be up to you if you wish to have the program started when computer boots. However I understand you by when you say you don't know what some of these programs mean so the best way to make a decision is to go to a site like http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php and do a search and make your own decision whether to keep on startup or not If you can't find some on that web site there is many others just google it and get answers.

I also leave auto updating programs disabled except for Antiviruuses, Antispywares, and Firewall and most important I disable Windows Autoupdate I set the option to warn me if I want to install updates.

Remember whenever you disable a program from startup you can always go and enable it back.

Don, thanks for the input. I printed up my list and will go to that site you suggested and do a little research. Will leave it the ones you suggested. Thanks again, I think when I finish I will notice a difference.

Hi Les

From looking at your startup I can see alot of programs that are not needed at startup because they are not needed at all time and if you do need it just go to the program and launch it. However you should keep always on startup programs such as Windows Defender, Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewalls. As for the rest of the programs I can not give you a simple answer since it would be up to you if you wish to have the program started when computer boots. However I understand you by when you say you don't know what some of these programs mean so the best way to make a decision is to go to a site like http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php and do a search and make your own decision whether to keep on startup or not If you can't find some on that web site there is many others just google it and get answers.

I also leave auto updating programs disabled except for Antiviruuses, Antispywares, and Firewall and most important I disable Windows Autoupdate I set the option to warn me if I want to install updates.

Remember whenever you disable a program from startup you can always go and enable it back.

• Moderators

Hi from me as well Les. You've got a lot of stuff in your Startup that I used to have. Also running an HP computer.

For a start off, if you let me know what you have in way of an iPod or iPhone, there are startup items and unneccessary services being ran by iTunes and Apple that you can turn off. I'm not sure about iPhone requirements, but I am sure about iPod ones.

These services run permanently in the background, using resources, and all they do is run, run, and run some more, for the sole purpose of waiting for a piece of hardware being plugged in, so they can automatically launch iTunes or whatever.

If all you have is an iPod, and my daughter has one, the only service we use is "iPod Service", and even that is set to manual start, and not automatic.

That's good advice from Don, but if going online still leaves you a bit puzzled, come back, and I'll try and give you some suggestions as to what I can see in your list that you can probably do without.

But do take note of Dons advice to "disable". Don't delete any items in case you need to start them again.

Thanks also for your input. The site that Don suggested was great, Sysinfo.org. I went in and checked every item I had in my list. I was able to disable 15 out of the the 32 items that were listed on my startup page in CCleaner. I didnt delete anything, I just selected disable for the ones I chose. Now that I have about half of them turned off it should make a difference.

Hi from me as well Les. You've got a lot of stuff in your Startup that I used to have. Also running an HP computer.

For a start off, if you let me know what you have in way of an iPod or iPhone, there are startup items and unneccessary services being ran by iTunes and Apple that you can turn off. I'm not sure about iPhone requirements, but I am sure about iPod ones.

These services run permanently in the background, using resources, and all they do is run, run, and run some more, for the sole purpose of waiting for a piece of hardware being plugged in, so they can automatically launch iTunes or whatever.

If all you have is an iPod, and my daughter has one, the only service we use is "iPod Service", and even that is set to manual start, and not automatic.

That's good advice from Don, but if going online still leaves you a bit puzzled, come back, and I'll try and give you some suggestions as to what I can see in your list that you can probably do without.

But do take note of Dons advice to "disable". Don't delete any items in case you need to start them again.

Hello Les B,

Welcome to the forums !!! :D

Also thanks for your Defraggler report .

In regards to your Startup programs, you can download this little executable program and run it. No install necessary.

It is from the Malwarebytes.org and is an excellent program for start-up items.

I and a few others on this forum have used it and very satisfied with the results.

I just used it again and it finds no items of concern.

It may find a few more items for you. Great program for a checkup by anyone.

The program is called StartUpLite. http://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite.php

Good luck,

:) davey