Password protection needed for folders

JDPower

Can anyone recommend a free program that I can use to password protect one of the folders on my computer, preferably something pretty simple/basic.

I have found True Crypt (but that seems pretty complicated), Cryptainer (which has a 25 meg limit on the free version) and Dekart Private Disk Light.

Has anyone tried any of these or have any other recommendations?

Cheers ;)

• Moderators
Is this a joke?

Wow that did sound bad didnt it. ;)

No, it wasnt a joke it was a late night post and I was stressed with another topic (I was waiting for a HJT log that wasnt going so hot. I tried to post a reasonable explanation of this program in about 2 seconds, which I guess didnt come out the way I had in my mind). What I meant was is that it came from a source I consider trustworthy (Call for help, Tech TV), yet I hadnt actually tried it myself. If you dont want to use it fine. Sorry I was not clear.

I have since installed it myself and then scanned it with adaware and spybot. Its actually a cool little program. I downloaded it from here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Encr...ng/Wincry.shtml

Thanks for the tips but still haven't been able to find quite what I'm looking for. I just want a simple program that will allow me to add a password to some folders to prevent others accessing them, I don't want to encrypt the information or anything like that.

Something just like this: Advanced Hide Folders, but a full free program, not a trial version (which this is, despite what it says <_< ).

There must be one out there somewhere, but I can't find it :huh:

Thanks for the tips but still haven't been able to find quite what I'm looking for. I just want a simple program that will allow me to add a password to some folders to prevent others accessing them, I don't want to encrypt the information or anything like that.

Something just like this: Advanced Hide Folders, but a full free program, not a trial version (which this is, despite what it says  <_<  ).

There must be one out there somewhere, but I can't find it  :huh:

JD,

I guess you haven't tried Axcrypt. It works just the way you wanted it. On top of that it encrypts the file. Its no harder than right-clicking and enter the password.

And if you want to open it again, just click the file and enter the password again.

That's all. And if you don't like it, then uninstall it.

Its much easier to use than Cryptainer LE.

Try it out.

JD,

I guess you haven't tried Axcrypt. It works just the way you wanted it. On top of that it encrypts the file. Its no harder than right-clicking and enter the password.

And if you want to open it again, just click the file and enter the password again.

That's all. And if you don't like it, then uninstall it.

Its much easier to use than Cryptainer LE.

Try it out.

I might try that if I can't find anything else. One of the things I really liked about Advanced Hide Folders when i tried the trial version was that you could run it in stealth mode, meaning there was no sign of the program on your computer and the only way to access it was via a keyboard shortcut. Meaning no-one even knew you were trying to hide anything.

I'm just surprised, considering theres a free program for nearly everything, that I can't find quite what I'm looking for :huh:

I might try that if I can't find anything else. One of the things I really liked about Advanced Hide Folders when i tried the trial version was that you could run it in stealth mode, meaning there was no sign of the program on your computer and the only way to access it was via a keyboard shortcut. Meaning no-one even knew you were trying to hide anything.

I'm just surprised, considering theres a free program for nearly everything, that I can't find quite what I'm looking for  :huh:

Thanks for the tip, JD. But I'm with the open source camp for encryption program.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This topic was dead, I know.

Anyway I remembered someone wanting a program to password protect a folder. Well I was watching tech tv and saw this:

Folder Access

http://www.folderaccess.com/

(Free version locks only 4 folders)

Thanks rridgely, only just seen your post. Downloaded the program and it does the job spot on. Cheers ;)