How do I know which files to defrag? Which are safe to defrag?

somercamb

hi there

I have windows XP

I have some video files with fragments ranging from 800 to 2000+; some registry files with 300+ fragments, an outlook.pst file with 385 fragments, a bunch of EXE files with fragments and so on. I was about to defrag, but then did not know if fragmenting these files would harm the files or my PC. I decided to create a RESTORE point, just in case. Can system restore even undo defragged files?

So, how do I know which files to defrag? Which are safe to defrag?

thank you

thank you

Hi somercamb,

Welcome to the forums !!! :D

Defraggler uses standard Windows APIs. It does not perform any weird and dangerous things.

It will only defragment files that are safe to do so.

I am glad to see that you are using the "defragment files" only method. This is the fastest way to use Defraggler.

This is all most users need.

Defraggler does have many options to defragment files, folders(directories), and the whole drive

"Whole drive" defragmenting is needed infrequently.

Many users only need "file defragmenting" and "folder defragmenting".

I mainly do "file defragmenting". I check the box next to The Filename header at the top of the list and this automatically checks all the files for defragmenting. I then click on the "Defrag Checked" button.

Sometimes I watch the map in amazement. Click on Help at the top and select drive map legend.

This will help you understand what you are seeing happen.

You may Pause or Stop the defragment at any time. You do not "have to" defragment all at one time. You can come back and do more later.

Gradually all your files will be defragmented and your map will show many Light blue and Dark blue blocks.

This is ideal for most users. Red blocks are normal result of daily processing. I normally "file list" defragment when I have some free time or at the end of the day but it is not necessary to do everyday.

You will figure out how often is best for you. Some users rarely defragment because it does not improve their use.

Defragmenting too often and cleaning too often does not improve your PC use but actually detracts from your average use.

Go ahead and check all those files and Enjoy !

Good luck, :) davey

P.S. WinXP System Restore point only backs up some system type files. Vista System Restore backs up more.

I would never rely on any system utility to restore any data.

If you need Backup advice (or any subject) then do some searching on the forums not the Internet.

Any questions just post in Software Forum.

Edited by davey

thank you for the very thorough reply. So, is it ok to defrag these video files , registry files, outlook.pst file and a bunch of EXE files ? What will it do these files in terms of my usage of them?

Hi somercamb,

Welcome to the forums !!! :D

Defraggler uses standard Windows APIs. It does not perform any weird and dangerous things.

It will only defragment files that are safe to do so.

I am glad to see that you are using the "defragment files" only method. This is the fastest way to use Defraggler.

This is all most users need.

Defraggler does have many options to defragment files, folders(directories), and the whole drive

"Whole drive" defragmenting is needed infrequently.

Many users only need "file defragmenting" and "folder defragmenting".

I mainly do "file defragmenting". I check the box next to The Filename header at the top of the list and this automatically checks all the files for defragmenting. I then click on the "Defrag Checked" button.

Sometimes I watch the map in amazement. Click on Help at the top and select drive map legend.

This will help you understand what you are seeing happen.

You may Pause or Stop the defragment at any time. You do not "have to" defragment all at one time. You can come back and do more later.

Gradually all your files will be defragmented and your map will show many Light blue and Dark blue blocks.

This is ideal for most users. Red blocks are normal result of daily processing. I normally "file list" defragment when I have some free time or at the end of the day but it is not necessary to do everyday.

You will figure out how often is best for you. Some users rarely defragment because it does not improve their use.

Defragmenting too often and cleaning too often does not improve your PC use but actually detracts from your average use.

Go ahead and check all those files and Enjoy !

Good luck, :) davey

P.S. WinXP System Restore point only backs up some system type files. Vista System Restore backs up more.

I would never rely on any system utility to restore any data.

If you need Backup advice (or any subject) then do some searching on the forums not the Internet.

Any questions just post in Software Forum.

thank you for the very thorough reply. So, is it ok to defrag these video files , registry files, outlook.pst file and a bunch of EXE files ? What will it do these files in terms of my usage of them?

It may speed things up for your daily usage. It will not slow things down.

What are these file names that you are calling "registry files" ?

It is always safest when "defragmenting" not to be using other programs at the time.

I only recommend this practice. I will not do it any other way.

:) davey