Power Supply

Bavaria

My video card failed yesterday ,so I change it.I have a Radeon 9550.

The power supply of my computer is only 250W.

Is enough, or I need a bigger one?

I have AMD Athlon XP 2600+,one hard disk,1 floppy disk and 2 DVD/CD drives.

Thank you!

My video card failed yesterday ,so I change it.I have a Radeon 9550.

The power supply of my computer is only 250W.

Is enough, or I need a bigger one?

I have AMD Athlon XP 2600+,one hard disk,1 floppy disk and 2 DVD/CD drives.

Thank you!

Try the power supply calculator at this site.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

250w is considered little nowadays.

Minimum recommended is 300w.

Does it work if you unplug the powercord to the hard disk, floppy, and the CD/DVD drives?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

250w is considered little nowadays.

Minimum recommended is 300w.

Does it work if you unplug the powercord to the hard disk, floppy, and the CD/DVD drives?

I replaced already the video card.Radeon 9550 is the new one.Everything is ok now.

I just want to know if I can have problems in the future ,using this power supply(250W).

Thx!

If you dont have problem this far, then you probably wont get trouble later on either.

Unfortunaly I have 250w too, and it's considered to be pretty little nowadays.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for reply!

#1 You should have the power supply info. with the video card you purchased , if not go to their website and find out what the power supply requirements are.

#2 250Watts should be sufficient to run the video card , How many other devices do you have plugged in ...ex..Plug-n-Play devices that may be hogging the juice. Try unplugging a few devices and then run your video card and if it works , the power source is your problem.

#3 Check your IRQ setups and see if there are any conflicts.There might be conflicts.

#4 Sometimes , if you have onboard video graphics check with the video card instructions on "How to Install" and make sure you do or don't have to uninstall the onboard graphics.....

Pure overall wattage isn't as important as a PSU that delivers stable power. It's important to look at amperage. Anything less than about 18A on the +12V line should be avoided for modern systems. Graphics cards can take some juice, btw. I had an old 300watt PSU that just couldn't handle my 9800 Pro. Since then I built a new system (Athlon64 3200+, MSI K8N Neo Platinum, HIS 9800 Pro IceQ, blah...) and I bought myself a Tagan TG480-U01, which is a 480 watt unit. This is an incredible PSU. Maybe you don't want to pay the kind of money they sell for (it really is worth it though) but Tagan offer amazing PSU's from about 330 watts and up. I fully recommend them. Anyway -- don't forget, raw wattage doesn't mean much. Take a look at the AMPS it can supply.