Cannot open Control Panel

cralor

Is this after you do an ordinary clean or when you do a registry clean (issues)?

Have you anything ticked in the advanced section of CCleaner?

Honestly, I do not actually know if it is CCleaner.

Here is the story:

Ok. I like keeping my system up to date with Windows. I always download the latest updates to keep my system clean. A week ago, I had 9 new updates. I thought this was a lot more and unusual, but I installed them anyway. It did the restart and configure process and eventually led to a message saying some thing like "The updates were not configured correctly." It reverted the changes and restarted.

After that, I could not open the Control Panel. I could also not open some other Windows features. I contacted Windows Support and attempted a System Restore. This caused some of my files to be a little messed up so I did what I could to fix them. I then tried updating again to just get the same issue. I reverted back again and was all set. I then uninstalled CCleaner as I remembered I had just updated it before I found issues. I tried updating again to no avail.

So, I still have the same Control Panel issues, but I'd just like to receive some knowledge and tips.

Thanks so much.

-cralor

• Moderators

Unfortunately it sounds as though the windows updates may have been the main cause of your problem.

Have you tried going to add/remove and uninstalling those last updates?

Also are you xp or vista and are all your virus/malware scans coming up clean?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

What happens when you try to open the control panel? Is there an error messege, a blank screen, ect...? Have you tried to open it in Safe Mode?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I believe it is the Windows Updates, too.

I use Vista 32bit. I know that it is not malware.

When I opened the CP, it would be blank. No errors. I have not tried in Safe Mode.

It is fixed now. I just do not update any longer =/

I am almost thinking of starting fresh again. I wouldn't mind it and I could use a fresh start anyway :D

Tell me if there is any other better ideas please!

Thanks!!!

Did you fix it by uninstalling the updates? If so, then reinstalling Windows won't solve anything because Windows Update will install the update again. Assuming that you uninstalled the updates to fix the problem...you can install the updates one at a time and determine which update causes the problem.

First change your automatic updates to notify you when updates are available, but not download and install them. Go to the Windows Update website via Start > All Programs > at the top you'll see Windows Update and choose express and uncheck all of the updates except one of them. When you find the update causing you the problems you can uninstall it, then hide it on the website so that Windows Update will not install it again.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)