Defraggler very slow

Newboy

Hi,

I recently installed defraggler on my Vista with SP1 system. But it is running extremely slow. I dont know if I need to change any settings, but it took a whole night just to defrag 44% of the drive. I have a 300GB velociraptor with only 105GB used.

Is this how long defraggler takes to defrag a drive. I used to remember XP only took about an 1 hour or so even for bigger drives.

Is there something in Vista that is making it defrag so whole.

Cheers

Newboy.

Hi,

Is this how long defraggler takes to defrag a drive. I used to remember XP only took about an 1 hour or so even for bigger drives.

Is there something in Vista that is making it defrag so whole.

Cheers

Newboy.

Hello Newboy,

Welcome to the forums !!! :D and thanks for the report and question.

Is there something in Vista causing this, is the answer to the question. You knew the answer all along. :P

The difference is the difference in disk defragmentation algorithms between XP and Vista and Defraggler.

XP defragger won't force files toward the front of the disk and defrags all files.

Vista defragger is similar and it also defrags in place if possible. It also will not bother defragging certain files or fragments larger than 64 MB.

Defraggler is defragging almost everything and moving everything to the front of the drive if you doing "Defrag Drive". All this takes considerable time and work plus Vista will be creating new restore points and possibly large ones as Defraggler does it's thing. Using Defraggler on Vista for now is best done for "file list" only. Other options will take much longer times.

Good luck,

:) davey