Another three brave Canadian soldiers killed

YoKenny

A sad day for Canadians

Three soldiers killed, one injured in Afghanistan

Three Canadian soldiers have died west of Kandahar city, after their armoured vehicle struck an improvised explosive device. A fourth soldier was injured in the blast.

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc/home/..._mission_081213

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Well this won't be a popular view point but since when do I care what people think? Our soldiers shouldn't be there in the first place. If you want to put on the uniform and be a mindless government goon than understand that you might get killed. The other side plays for keeps. If our soldiers were there for what I consider good reason than they would have my sympathy but they aren't and don't. I would never lower myslef to being a hammer for the government.

I personally don't like war, and am not a big fan. I am personally against the war in iraq (i have friends there too) and am luke warm to the operations in afghanistan (i see the arguments both sides).

But regardless, I can support the soldiers and not support the war. Most are not "mindless government goons", my friends that are there all hold degrees in various occupations. Hoping for their safe return. :)

I personally don't like war, and am not a big fan. I am personally against the war in iraq (i have friends there too) and am luke warm to the operations in afghanistan (i see the arguments both sides).

But regardless, I can support the soldiers and not support the war. Most are not "mindless government goons", my friends that are there all hold degrees in various occupations. Hoping for their safe return. :)

I don't care what degrees they hold. You join the military you check your brains at the door. You follow orders no matter how stupid they may be. You are a hammer nothing more.

Well not everyone is as able or as brave, I guess we all just do what we are capable of.

Reminds me of a saying "If you can read this thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier."

:)

I think anyone that goes into a war zone in a violent area is brave.....Not all of us are cut out for that kind of thing. But specifically (Quote from the article):

"They were members of the Quick Reaction Force, or QRF, a team of soldiers that are usually called out to emergency situations within Kandahar City or just outside city limits, Globe and Mail reporter Graeme told CTV Newsnet on Sunday morning."

Basically they were ones that went to some of the more high risk situations in an already dangerous area. It's a terrible thing when anybody dies, a fact of life and war, but these guys (like us all) were sons, fathers, brothers, etc. Someone somewhere is missing them terribly.

Brave? Watch a training video or documentary on training soldiers. There is nothing brave here. They are mindless killers. They look forward to going to war so they can kill with impunity. They also like all the flag waiving fools bowing down to them. Bravery has got nothing to do with it. They are hammers and that comes with a price as these 3 found out.

Probably one of the lowest form of scum on the planet is a military recruiter. The similarities between them and pimps is scary. They feed on the lower class. Suck them in, pump them up and use them. This flag waiving war mongering BS makes me sick.

That's the difference I guess. Some live from the comfort of their home and can armchair quarter back by watching videos and explain how others think and what they should do. Others have the physical or mental fortitude to go and protect the rights and freedoms of those people to do that. Obviously democracy comes at a price. Unfortunate but true. I don't like war, would not join the military personally, but I am thankful for those that do serve their country.

I work with people that have killed in the line of duty and I can say that they are family men, not mindless killers, and did not look forward to it at all. It exacts a large mental toll on a persons psych and is not something that they relish. I would never be one of those people that denigrate soldiers (or any other person for that matter we all lead different lives) for doing their job.

• Moderators

For very personal reasons I've kept out of this thread, but I'm ending it before I say or do something I might later regret.

I'll close or delete any topics with a similar tone to this one.

And this isn't censorship, this is a message to anyone who doesn't think about the effect their words may have on members who may have lost, or almost lost, close family members in Iraq, Afghanistan, or any other current theatre of war.