Macrium Reflect Free Edition Update

DennisD

• Moderators

You can update from within Macrium without removing the current version, and I've double checked to make sure it isn't an update to the commercial version.

Home site for anyone new to Macrium, or if you wish to do a complete install.

Macrium Reflect V 4.2.2033: (21st Oct 2008)

The update from within Macrium was quick and painless.

Thanks DennisD, it looks like something I can use. :D

Yorkshireman

- [My Twitter Profile: Clicky]

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.

Albert Einstein

You can update from within Macrium without removing the current version, and I've double checked to make sure it isn't an update to the commercial version.

Home site for anyone new to Macrium, or if you wish to do a complete install.

Macrium Reflect V 4.2.2033: (21st Oct 2008)

The update from within Macrium was quick and painless.

Your a little late on the draw with that one Dennis ;) I updated that months ago :P

• Moderators
Your a little late on the draw with that one Dennis ;) I updated that months ago :P

That's your fault for not telling me. :P:)

I actually thought it was time to make a new backup, so it's the first time I've looked at Macrium for quite some time.

I hadn't even heard of it before. Sounds good, although I'd need more hard disk space or another hard disk just to make an image.

I don't follow. You put the image on a CD/DVD or an external HD. The images Macrium makes is only the used disk space not the whole disk and it compresses it. My images are 3 gig on one machine and 5 on another.

Is this able to create a backup on a USB connected external Hard Drive, and then to restore that image ?

I have seen many reviews on various forums, but only one referred to a USB Hard Drive, and that said it could not be used.

Regards

Alan

Is this able to create a backup on a USB connected external Hard Drive, and then to restore that image ?

I have seen many reviews on various forums, but only one referred to a USB Hard Drive, and that said it could not be used.

Regards

Alan

Yes, I use Macrium and backup to a 320GB external USB harddrive. Hopefully, you're using USB 2.0 and not 1.1 (which would be very slow). Actually, this software is great. The commercial version (which I happen to have) also allows for standard selected folder/file backups in addition to imaging.

Thank you for the prompt replies.

I would have seen them earlier, but I have cut down my life on the Internet.

I accept that the latest "out-of-cycle" update fixes the latest I.E. vulnerabilities that have become public,

but in view of the pressure on M.$. to be seen to take urgent action I cannot help thinking there might be further urgent patches on their way !

Perhaps I will be more relaxed after the next Patch Tuesday - perhaps ! !

I now assume that the one post I saw on a forum about USB not working was just one of those things,

perhaps there was some incompatibility on his system, or perhaps he clicked the wrong buttons.

Anyway I now consider it worth downloading and trying for myself, so thank you for the answers.

Not yet - I tried but as I feared the link I have downloads an *.exe file.

Since last week when I set I.E. Security to "HIGH", Firefox cannot download *.exe due to the "Security Zone Policy".

If only Macrium was available as a ZIP. I am tempted to throw caution to the wind - but probably not this week.

USB 1.1 - I remember it well.

I bought a 300 GByte USB drive from Buffalo for a broadband capable Laptop.

The first thing I did was to copy everything I could from an old dial-up computer using Windows 98,

and that took most of the day via USB 1.1 to copy 5 GBytes.

At the time I thought how much easier and faster this was compared to using "Terminal" and serial ports to copy about 200 MBytes from one P.C. to another many years earlier.

I am pleased to say that since then it only takes about 6 minutes to transfer 4.5 GBytes via USB 2.

Thanks and regards

Alan