Defragging Freespace

BadBob

After doing a standard defrag, and selecting all files, all my files do defrag, save for pagefile.sys, which was covered in my prior thread.

I tried defragging the freespace (not allowing defragmention) and quite a number of files became fragged. Not only that, but there were quite a few files which remained at the end of the hard drive. Did the standard defrag, which then all files, save for filepage.sys, were defragged.

So, any reason why defragging freespace fragged files? (Try saying that five times fast :) )

TIA for any replies.

Bob

Bob

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forums !!! :D

Thanks for joining us in the Defraggler Discussion forum.

So, any reason why defragging freespace fragged files? (Try saying that five times fast :) )

I have experienced just what you describe during my use and testing. It looks like we were thinking that the description for the Advanced action Defrag Freespace (allow fragmentation) means allow fragmentation of files and Defrag Freespace means do not allow fragmentation of files. I have come to the conclusion that the "allowing fragmentation" or "not allowing fragmentation" is referring to the Free Space itself and not the files. Both will result in fragmented files but one will produce one large Free Space and the other will produce multiple large Free Spaces.

The good news is we will soon have our confusion cleared up as described in this thread. Yippee!!!

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=19197

Best wishes,

:) davey I have sometimes used the term "defragmentation" when I should have said "fragmentation". I think you did the same in your post. May be contagious !!! Five times fast is too many when your tired. :P

Hi Bob,

Thanks for joining us in the Defraggler Discussion forum.

I have experienced just what you describe during my use and testing. It looks like we were thinking that the description for the Advanced action Defrag Freespace (allow fragmentation) means allow fragmentation of files and Defrag Freespace means do not allow fragmentation of files. I have come to the conclusion that the "allowing fragmentation" or "not allowing fragmentation" is referring to the Free Space itself and not the files. Both will result in fragmented files but one will produce one large Free Space and the other will produce multiple large Free Spaces.

The good news is we will soon have our confusion cleared up as described in this thread. Yippee!!!

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=19197

Best wishes,

:) davey I have sometimes used the term "defragmentation" when I should have said "fragmentation". I think you did the same in your post. May be contagious !!! Five times fast is too many when your tired. :P

Thanks for the reply and the welcome Davey. Yea, I've read that thread via your link. I like the product a lot, but I'm a bit curious why an FAQ (based on what the predicted questions would be) outlining all the features wasn't included when the product was released.

Anyhoo, thanks again ...

Bob

I'm a bit curious why an FAQ (based on what the predicted questions would be) outlining all the features wasn't included when the product was released.

Anyhoo, thanks again ...

Bob

Like many products Defraggler was released and many new options were added since then.

Piriform is very small but very productive. Historically speaking regarding any developer, many software products develop faster than the documentation. Thankfully(hopefully), that void will be filled soon.

:) davey I am another user and member just like you. The words are mine.

Edited by davey

I have come to the conclusion that the "allowing fragmentation" or "not allowing fragmentation" is referring to the Free Space itself and not the files. Both will result in fragmented files but one will produce one large Free Space and the other will produce multiple large Free Spaces.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be right. I explain. Today I tried to make space for one large file to be copied to my harddisk and wanted to ensure it will be in "one piece". So I did what everybody else would have done, I used "Defrag Empty Space" - unfortunately the result, although it was better than before, was not even close to one large free space, in fact there were dozens of files "inbetween" the large space, which, makes it a big chunk of fragmented large space :-(

And yes, I used both versions, the "not allowing fragmentation" version first (as it made sense) and just to be sure I didn't choose the wrong one, I tried the "allowing fragmentation" version too - results were pretty similar though - not the large empty space I needed as result :-(

Does anybody know of a software capable of just copying all files starting from the end of the harddisk to every single empty space starting from the front, so that in the end one large piece of empty space is left at the end of the hdd and of course, the files that "were" there are spread around the hdd, but that's another thing to be taken care of later :)

So basically I need a software really delivering this complete large free space at the end of the hdd, which would btw also enable defragmentation of large files, which otherwise is hard without gb's of free space.

Thanks in advance for any help, maybe I just overlooked something (hope so) - hope somebody can solve this issue, thanks!!

Frank

Thanks in advance for any help, maybe I just overlooked something (hope so) - hope somebody can solve this issue, thanks!!

Frank

Hi Frank,

Yes, Defraggler is still not perfect but it is getting there. I know what you describe.

It sounds like you are experienced and advanced enough to try JkDefrag. It is freeware and will do what you need .

You might also consider Partitioning as part of your plan. You may already be in that process.

See this thread about defragging. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=100492

This thread on Partitions. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=3571

Good luck,

:) davey

Edited by davey

Hi Frank,

Yes, Defraggler is still not perfect but it is getting there. I know what you describe.

It sounds like you are experienced and advanced enough to try JkDefrag. It is freeware and will do what you need .

You might also consider Partitioning as part of your plan. You may already be in that process.

Good luck,

thanks for the welcome :)

now I tried JkDefrag with "Force together" , but it didn't work completely either, not creating "one large piece of empty space at the end of the harddisk" - maybe a hidden option I did not see? any idea?

and reg. partitioning - I already have 3 partitions, one for the system, one for programs and one for "just data"

thanks for the welcome :)

now I tried JkDefrag with "Force together" , but it didn't work completely either, not creating "one large piece of empty space at the end of the harddisk" - maybe a hidden option I did not see? any idea?

and reg. partitioning - I already have 3 partitions, one for the system, one for programs and one for "just data"

Got a thumbnail of it. Defraggler and JkDefrag ?

When I tested Defraggler last time for Defrag Free Space it created one huge space at the end of my disk

You may need to turn off Hibernate. Run the Defraggler etc. Then turn Hibernate back on.

Do you really need a totally empty space and why ?

Do you have any other unmovable files ?

You aren't talking about the MFT reserved space are you ?

I may have overlooked something, myself. Are you using Vista ?

Got a thumbnail of it. Defraggler and JkDefrag ?

When I tested Defraggler last time for Defrag Free Space it created one huge space at the end of my disk

You may need to turn off Hibernate. Run the Defraggler etc. Then turn Hibernate back on.

Do you really need a totally empty space and why ?

Do you have any other unmovable files ?

You aren't talking about the MFT reserved space are you ?

I may have overlooked something, myself. Are you using Vista ?

(1) with Hibernate "On", JkDefrag would not even try to start defragmentation ;) so yes, no hibernation

(2) Windows 2000 Prof.

(3) totally empty because I want to create a new pagefile.sys and found that without creating one large chunk of empty space, the file will never be in one fragment (PageDefrag only works with the free space provided and as far as I know, doesn't move files to create "large free space" to fit the pagefile.sys in)

(4) the entries causing the fragmented free space seem to be directory entries it seems (checked with DiskTrix), is this the MFT reserved space you talk about? If so, how can a large file of let's say 800mb ever be in one fragment? if not, any idea how I move those directory entries away from "inbetween the large free space"? Haven't seen an option in any of the software I have installed yet.

At the end I'll be the winner over my computer, I hope ;););)