Vista 64 Registry scan questions

theShiZa

Hi all.

Just installed Vista Ultimate 64 on my new PC and just had a question or 2 about my Registry "scan for issues" results which are pasted below.

I have installed all the main Vista updates including .NET Framework 3.5. After installing/uninstalling a few things, I needed a nice clean-up so loaded my trusty Cache Cleaner and came across a lot of "Missing Shared DLL" entries specifically from .NET Framework version 1 (if v1.0.3705 means Version 1).

And the "ActiveX/COM Issue" entries (mostly from ATi and it's Catalyst software) have popped up.

Can someone please shed some light on my "Missing Shared DLL" and "ActiveX/COM Issue" entries ?? Can I safely fix/delete them ??

I know what the "Unused File Extension" section is, but can someone also tell me what the "Invalid Default Icon", "Open with Application Issue" and "Help File Issue" ones mean on my Vista ??

Cheers,

Ash.

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\vsavb7rt.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.enterpriseservices.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscorrc.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscordbi.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscorsec.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.configuration.install.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\microsoft.vsa.vb.codedomprocessor.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\wminet_utils.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\microsoft.jscript.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\diasymreader.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\iehost.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.data.dll HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Unused File Extension .0 HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.0

Unused File Extension .BAK HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.BAK

Unused File Extension .blf HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.blf

Unused File Extension .cdf HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.cdf

Unused File Extension .cfg HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.cfg

Unused File Extension .DFI HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.DFI

Unused File Extension .DVR HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.DVR

Unused File Extension .ins HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ins

Unused File Extension .LOG1 HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.LOG1

Unused File Extension .NET HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.NET

Unused File Extension .pdf HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf

Unused File Extension .regtrans-ms HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.regtrans-ms

Unused File Extension .vdm HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.vdm

ActiveX/COM Issue AtiComCloneControl.CloneViewHelper - {4242B984-6C36-4FC8-8626-DE5E8B11886D} HKCR\AtiComCloneControl.CloneViewHelper

ActiveX/COM Issue AtiComCloneControl.CloneViewHelper.1 - {4242B984-6C36-4FC8-8626-DE5E8B11886D} HKCR\AtiComCloneControl.CloneViewHelper.1

ActiveX/COM Issue C4.CCCCom - {CC7C96DF-1942-4D46-9FCD-810EF1C56C2D} HKCR\C4.CCCCom

ActiveX/COM Issue CmdLineExt.CmdLineContextMenu - {F0407C3D-349C-42b9-B83E-821E31623DF9} HKCR\CmdLineExt.CmdLineContextMenu

ActiveX/COM Issue CmdLineExt.CmdLineContextMenu.1 - {F0407C3D-349C-42b9-B83E-821E31623DF9} HKCR\CmdLineExt.CmdLineContextMenu.1

Invalid Default Icon %systemroot%\system32\fxscover.exe,1 HKCR\FaxCover.Document\DefaultIcon

ActiveX/COM Issue UserInterfaceObject.AtiPropertySheetACE - {872A9397-E0D6-4E28-B64D-52B8D0A7EA35} HKCR\UserInterfaceObject.AtiPropertySheetACE

ActiveX/COM Issue UserInterfaceObject.AtiPropertySheetACE.1 - {872A9397-E0D6-4E28-B64D-52B8D0A7EA35} HKCR\UserInterfaceObject.AtiPropertySheetACE.1

ActiveX/COM Issue WBOCX3.DirectSkinAce.1 - {EB2D089B-51AD-4DEA-98D3-C37A0F3479D7} HKCR\WBOCX3.DirectSkinAce.1

Open with Application Issue %SystemRoot%\system32\wpnpinst.exe %1 HKCR\webpnpFile\shell\open

ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\%SystemRoot%\System32\wpccpl.dll HKCR\CLSID\{A167B942-CD17-4d00-BDD9-8FDC2DC158F2}

ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\%SystemRoot%\System32\wpccpl.dll HKCR\CLSID\{A6F1684D-AED6-401b-9786-A3E3B53C6641}

Help File Issue %SystemRoot%\IME\IMETC10\HELP\IMTCTC.CHM HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help

Help File Issue %SystemRoot%\IME\IMETC10\HELP\IMTCEN.CHM HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help

Anyone :( ??

.NET Framework is a pain.

I understand that missing shared dlls is something to do with a counter for each of them.

When "something" needs the use of a dll, it may prefer not to install its own copy, but to make use of what is already installed by something else, AND THEN it increments the corresponding counter.

When a "something" is un-installed it should decrement any counters it incremented upon installation, and then test the decremented value.

If the counter remains non-zero then other applications are still using that shared dll, and it should be left present.

If the counter has become zero, then nothing else is using that dll, so it should be removed.

If "something" is un-installed and it deletes the "shared dll" regardless, then the counter is left non-zero and when CCleaner finds a non-zero counter I guess (I think) that it looks for the continued existence of that dll, and if it has been deleted an issue is reported.

I fear that other things may still depend upon using the dll that was deleted, in which case they will collapse in a heap when used.

Major damage has been done and nothing can repair the situation. That is what you get with .NET Framework

I guess that CCleaner will resolve by setting the counter to zero. It won't help the other things that need the missing dll, but I guess it will do no further damage - I guess.

The only solution MAY be to totally remove all versions of .NET Framework and then resolve the issues and then re-install without any further un-installation. BUT that could lead to additional problems and having to re-install Windows.

I have a similar problem needing a solution myself so I would be interested in knowing how it works out for you.

My role model is the penguin at the back of the crowd on top the cliff, watching the penguin at the front being pushed over into the sea to test whether there is a predator lurking under the waves, or whether it is safe for everyone to go fishing ! !

Regards

Alan

Hi all.

Allan thanx for your reply. Sorry for late reply, something came up. Well I was D/C from the net for a while so I couldn't check my post, so I just deleted whatever Cache Cleaner showed and it's been over a week with everything still smooth, but like you said, if something wants to use those particular files in future or something, I might be in trouble ??

I backed up my registry with the Cache Cleaner option but I think that's pointless if I've already used Cache Cleaner a few times after cleaning those .NET Framework and ActiveX issues.

Do you just leave them there Allan ?? Do you also have the ActiveX issues like mine or just .NET Framework ??

Cheers,

Ash.

Hi

I have no ActiveX issues.

I detest it for its security issues.

I detest Panda for requiring that I should abandon Firefox and use I.E. to facilitate a virus/rootkit scan.

I have one .NET ver.2 patch that will not install.

The solution is to uninstall and then re-install.

Unfortunately Windows could not uninstall it.

Finally I went to http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/200.../30/611355.aspx

A very useful tool was able to blast it away - and also told me WHY Windows could not uninstall.

Windows lost a catalogue file or something and did not know in which order to uninstall all the patches etc.

(disgustingly, Windows previously gave no clues as to why it failed.)

After purging .NET I ran CCleaner to NOT clean but observe,

and saw several thousand "missing shared DLLs".

I then installed .NET again and automatically the shared DLLs count went down to about a dozen.

Even a dozen shared DLLs was something I did not like,

so I restored the disk image I made in preparation because I knew in advance it would all end in tears.

Astebner has refined his tool several times, and I will soon repeat the exercise.

I am willing to accept advice upon this, but my views of missing shared DLLs are :-

1. Something has gone wrong. Code is not where it should be, and a counter says some application still needs it;

2. Erasing the counter is unlikely to help that application work without that code;

3. Damage is already done, erasing the counter does no further damage, but it MIGHT save a little registry space.

4. ALTERNATIVELY, when I do this again, I could identify the dozen missing DLLs and copy them from the previous disc image. This will ensure that any application that needs them can still run, and if in fact they are not needed I have merely wasted a little disc space.

I hate wasting disc space. I hate wasting money - but I do not hesitate to pay my house insurance.

Regards

Alan

Thanks again Alan_B. Well for now I'll just leave it until something crashes or tells me I need files relating to .NET Framework. I have scanned for registry issues many times after that now and so far none of them have came back. Appreciate your time Alan_B for providing the info.

Cheers,

Ash.