Corrupt Files

allatpen

Hi.

My question is in 2 parts:

First, I'm trying to recover Yahoo Messenger airchive files. I have over 700. Many are lost forever, it seems, but there are a number of files that are tagged as "excellent".

When I recover these tagged as "excellent" it seems that a very large number of these are corrupt. Why didn't recuva recognise these? Or does't recuva work that way.

Secondly, when I try to read these archived files, with very many of the corrupt files Yahoo crashes. It can't be restarted without re-booting my PC. Can anyone help here? At least stop Yahoo from crashing, even if the file is unreadable. Sometimes it just comes up with an error message other times gives a debug option. When either is selected Yahoo crashes again.

Many thanks.

Allan

• Moderators

Don't take Recuva's classification of the file state as infallible. It's only software, and can only check such things as is the data overwritten according to the MFT, does the file size value match the actual file size, etc. It can't pass any judgement on the data in the file.

I have no knowledge of anything Yahooish. It does sound a little flakey. I don't know what you want to do with the recovered files, of course, but could you perhaps recover them to a separate folder/cdr, then if you need some particular piece of info search the files and then open the found files with wordpad or similar?

Don't take Recuva's classification of the file state as infallible. It's only software, and can only check such things as is the data overwritten according to the MFT, does the file size value match the actual file size, etc. It can't pass any judgement on the data in the file.

I have no knowledge of anything Yahooish. It does sound a little flakey. I don't know what you want to do with the recovered files, of course, but could you perhaps recover them to a separate folder/cdr, then if you need some particular piece of info search the files and then open the found files with wordpad or similar?

Hello.

Thanks for the reply.

Yahoo saves it's archives in some sort of vid format, although the archives themselves are text. This means that notepad, wordpad, etc., won't read them. The information is important to me but not important enough to spend many ?100's having them recovered professionally. Sort of betwixt and between. But you're right, by saving the file I might one day come across something that will read them.

Thanks again.

Allan